Misconceptions of a Fangirl: 12 Things We Want Straightened Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

I am a lot of things; I’m a Halloween loving, comic book reading, shitty movie watching, head banging, foodie. I’m passionate about the things I enjoy and the people that create or partake in them, but under certain scrutiny this also means that I’m a fangirl. Fuck it, I’m a fangirl and I’m in several fandoms. No matter how true that is, it’s also true that nearly everything you’ve ever thought or heard about a fangirl or fandom is a really deceitful stereotype.

Just like any other stereotype, there are people that actually fall under them. But that’s only true about one out of a couple hundred of us. So I went online, did some research and this is what some of my closest fellow fangirl friends said.

Here are 12 things we want wanted to straighten up:

1. We’re not all 12 year old girls.

This was the most common misconception of them all. A twelve year old somewhere along the line gave us a really shitty rep.

2. We don’t leave or remove ourselves from fandoms as soon as we turn 18.

Some of us are actual adults, with actual jobs. The fandom doesn’t close the door on us or sacrifice us like Children of the Corn.

3. Fandoms aren’t negative communities.

Fandoms are actually pretty positive communities; we support each other’s differences as well as share many similarities. We’re a really supportive community and try to help with any problems anyone may have.

4. We’re not only into musicians/ artists/ celebrities because of what they look like.

People actually have more to offer than pretty faces (very, very pretty faces, mind you)

(like the words of musician frank iero)

5. We’re not drowning in posters and merch. (Not all of us, anyways.)

We don’t have rooms in our parent’s homes filled with posters and blankets with people’s faces on them.

6. Our intentions aren’t purely/ only/ always sexual.

C’mon guys. We’re classy as f*ck.

7. The term Fangirl is sometimes an offensive term.

Don’t be an asshole about it; we’re rad people with morals that would put a holier-than-thou to shame.

8. We’re not obsessive, just passionate.

There’s a difference, look it up.

9. We are aware that we’re not going to marry/ have sexual relations with the person/ band.

Most of us find that immensely creepy.

10. We have more than just one interest; we are a people of many interests.

We tend to be in more than one fandom. We are cultured, we read, we write, we watch and listen to many different things in many different genres.

11. Fandoms aren’t like cults.

Everyone thinks that Fandoms consist of a bunch of devil worshiping twelve year olds that sacrifice their souls in order to meet people that they admire.

12. We’re not narrow minded. We are some of the most accepting people.

One of the things I love the most about the fandoms I am involved with, is that they are beyond accepting.

We constantly express a belief in acceptance, it does not matter what sexuality you consider yourself, what race you are, what gender you are, or what your religion is. You are welcome. The bands we like, the books we read, the movies we watch and the things we’ve experienced all taught us to be accepting. That is why I am proud to be a fangirl.

just a preamble
UC Riverside

UC Riverside