This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

The idea of manifestation stems from a concept known as the Law of Attraction. This philosophy believes by putting out positive energy and thoughts into the world, we can attract exactly what we want from it, no matter how big or small. I’m not saying you can attract an A+ on your upcoming midterm without studying or that you can manifest your dream career to fall into your lap. The Law of Attraction requires work as much as it does dream. Its main purpose emphasizes that if you don’t believe in yourself, how is the world supposed to? Here are some helpful ways to make manifestation work for you:

(Photo by rawpixel.com from Pexels)

1. Make it Up

Think of something you want to accomplish and start to form it into a full idea, not just a New Years resolution-esque thought. Most people make their goals too broad and simple, like “get better grades” or “eat healthy foods,” but these general hopes will guide you nowhere without specifics. To truly attract a positive change in your life, you must know exactly what you want. An easy way to do this is to follow the 5 golden rules for goal-setting. The most important aspects of these 5 golden rules are to have a motivating purpose and make it SMART (smart, measurable, attainable, relevant, time-bound).

(Photo by Estée Janssens on Unsplash)

1. Make it Yours

Once you have a goal in mind, find a way to make it even more personal to you. While people may share goals, no two people will travel the same road. Focus on your own individual experience. You can write them down on a piece of paper, doodle them in a bullet journal, make a vision board, or any other form of expression, as long as you are personalizing your vision. Making it unique will help keep you more responsible on your own terms.

(Photo by rawpixel on Unsplash)

1. Make it Known

Not everyone can keep themselves in check all the time, so do yourself a favor and share your goals with others around you. When you are out with friends or chatting with family let them in on your vision. Doing so will give them more of a chance to support you directly. When you feel like giving up, these will be the people you can turn to to lift you up and hold you accountable at the same time. If you want to keep your goals to yourself, make sure you put them up in as many places as possible. Tape to-do lists on your walls, set your favorite motivational quotes or  pictures of your goal as your wallpaper, etc. The more you are face-to-face with your dream, the more likely you will stay motivated to achieve it.

(Photo by Jeremy Dorrough on Unsplash)

1. Make it a Habit

After you set  your plan in motion and are able to keep up with it, make it a routine. If you get burnt out, take a break,then get back to it. If you want to change an aspect, by all means, change it. If you finish your goal, set another one. Just find a way to keep yourself motivated on the track you want to be on. Depending on what you want to manifest into your life, it may take a while to see results, but once you do it will only push you further to keep going. Treat every goal as its own process deserving its own time and dedication. If you put all your energy investing in yourself, the world around you will do the same.

Wishing, hoping, and dreaming are always great, but at the end of the day, what matters is what you work for. It can be really easy to get lost in the 21st century where everyone wants everything right away. But, know that these things take time. Take a deep breath. Refocus. Your future will fall into place. With all these tips in mind, you will be able to work towards and conquer the toughest of goals along the way.

Shanelle Huynh

UC Riverside '22

I am a UCR graduate with a degree in Creative Writing and a minor in Business Administration learning to define my own way of living as a "writer" and sharing what I find out on my journey along the way.
Hi, I'm Savannah. I'm currently a Senior at UCRiveride studying Sociology. After graduation, I'm looking into doing Public Relations with a media and entertainment company. My favorite things to do are find the best shopping deals and go on road trips.