Made Affordable: Fall’s Makeup Must-Haves LIPS!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

As many of you know, this season’s HOTTEST color is Ox-blood….which frankly sounds very off-putting. But anything in the red or plum colored family is hot hot hot! On the numerous runways going on all over the world, we can see a trend of darker lips, strong brows and eye liner. So what’s a girl on a budget gotta do to stay on trend? Hit the drugstores!!

Every week, CVS, Rite Aid, Walgreens, Target, Walmart and others come out with weekly ads. CHECK THOSE ADS OUT! You never know if the lipstain you’ve been mulling over is going to be ‘Buy One Get One 50% Off’ or even ‘Buy One Get One Free’!

One of the plus sides of buying from a drugstore like CVS and not a big superstore like Target, is that if the product doesn’t appeal to you as much as you thought it would, you can always return it (as long as there is at least 50% of the product left and it is returned within the allotted time).

Of ALLLLL the selections in the drugstores, I really like the Revlon lipsticks. A lot of them are similar to department store brands for a fraction of the cost. Also the color selection not only helps you stay on trend but stay within your budget!

From top to bottom: Cherry Blossom; Romantic; Lovesick; Smitten

For Fall, the Revlon color that is super flattering for all skin-tones is from their Shanghai Collection: Cherry Blossom. It is a pearl raspberry color (very miniscule shimmer) that is quite universal. Not only is the color flattering, because there is a blue undertone or is on the ‘cooler’ side of the color spectrum, it will make your pearly whites appear EVEN MORE white!

If lipstick is not your cup of tea but would like to try out lip color, try out Revlon’s Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stains! These are jumbo lip pencils that are not only moisturizing, the buildable sheer tint for your lips that is super long wearing! I’m loving Smitten and Lovesick, both are very similar, but Lovesick is a more bright pink while Smitten is a more darker strawberry color. If you’re a more red-lips kind of gal, try Romantic. It is a sheer red with orange undertones that is VERY similar to Maybelline’s Baby Lips in Cherry. These babies lasted throughout the day from 8-6, with 2 re-applications! And the best part is: no need to worry about flaky lips!

Nicole Martinez

UC Riverside

Nicole is a senior at UC Riverside where she is majoring in Media and Culture studies. She co-founded the Her Campus UC Riverside chapter her sophomore year in college. She loves to spend her free time watching The Mindy Project, Girls, Pretty Little Liars, and other shows with leading ladies. She also dabbles on tumblr, instagram (obviwearetheladies), and twitter. Mindy Kailing and Shoshanna are her spirit animals and in the near future she hopes to achieve elite status on Yelp, pursue a career in Public Relations and ultimately conquer the world.