This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Looking for an artist that can articulate all of your deepest feelings into a poetic song for you to blast in your headphones? Look no further! Lizzy McAlpine is one of the most talented singer-songwriters out right now. 

McAlpine’s first studio album,  “Give Me A Minute”, was released in 2020 to reasonable amounts of attention, as it gave fans hit songs like “Pancakes for Dinner” and “To the Mountains”. 

However, many people know McAlpine by her mesmerizing hit “ceilings” that has recently blown up on TikTok. McAlpine’s indie folk-pop music and deeply emotional lyrics have touched the hearts of many young people all over the world. An abundance of TikTok videos have surfaced of fans running and screaming her “Ceilings” lyrics in the dark. It’s amazing to see such a talented artist finally getting the recognition she deserves. Amidst the success of this hit song, McAlpine finally released her “ceilings” music video on Valentines Day. The video tells the story of imagining a love that’s not real. It captures the feeling of being isolated, which is relatable for many of us.

“Ceilings” is one of the many heart wrenching songs off of her second studio album “five seconds flat”. Some of my other favorite tracks on this album include “doomsday”, “hate to be lame” featuring FINNEAS, and “erase me” featuring Jacob Collier. 

“Doomsday” is a great opening track and has some of the most devastating lyrics in the entire album. One lyric that stuck out to me the most is in the chorus: “I don’t get a choice in the matter. Why would I? It’s only the death of me.” She describes this metaphorical death after a person that she loved decided to pull the plug on their relationship. Many of the other songs in her discography share this theme of heartbreak and the healing process that occurs after. 

McAlpine is not only a talented singer/songwriter, she’s also scripted many of her own music videos as well as a short film for her album “five seconds flat”, which brings her tragically beautiful lyrics to life.  

All in all, McAlpine is an amazing artist, and her popularity is growing by the moment. Her sound is similar to many of today’s other favorites such as Phoebe Bridgers, Gracie Abrams, and Clairo. However Lizzy McApline brings her own amazing twist to the table that makes her stand out to me and many others. Give her a listen! You won’t be disappointed!

Rina Ahuja

UC Riverside '24

I am a third year Psychology major that enjoys writing. I also enjoy trying different coffee shops, listening to music, and exploring new places.