This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

“I’m a bit sleepy tonight but when I wake up I’m going death con 3 On JEWISH PEOPLE.” This is what Kanye West tweeted on October 9th, 2022. 

West has been in the public eye for as long as some of us can remember. Either hated or adored, but always controversial. This recent tweet threatening the Jewish community has deeply polarized not only his fans, but our country at large. For some, it has sparked a renewal of awareness on the dangers of antisemitism. For others, his comments have reaffirmed their hateful, right-wing ideologies.

The post, now deleted, is still available on the web. In it, West threatens actual violence against Jews, while also claiming that he cannot be antisemitic, on the grounds that he is African-American. This is not the first time that West has been caught espousing hateful rhetoric, or been called out for it. As  new and disturbing details continue to surface, just how dangerous these comments really are is coming into light.

It is no secret that hate crimes against Jews have been on the rise in recent years. As West’s tweets have become increasingly hostile and dangerous, so has real-world violence. Many alt-right groups and leaders are already coming out in support of West’s comments. Not even three weeks ago in Los Angeles, a neo-nazi group displayed a banner over the 405 Freeway, reading, “KANYE IS RIGHT ABOUT THE JEWS.” This is the biggest red flag that we have seen in quite some time. It means that antisemitism has once again become mainstream, and that hate groups are feeling comfortable in public spaces. 

israel sundseth BYu8ITUWMfc unsplash?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp

What lies at the heart of this baleful rhetoric is the belief that, within society, Jews function as some vast conspiratorial circle. It is a theory that is both ancient and extremely deadly. And it is a theory which is clearly irrational, and baseless. West would have you believe that one bad apple in the music business makes Jews, as a whole, responsible for corruption within the industry. This is an echo of certain right-wing ideologies that blame Jews for a wealth of economic, social, and political issues. This kind of thought is deeply reminiscent of nazism, which is very concerning and frightening for many American Jews. This is a theory that is enabling hate crimes and mass murder in our country.

For those of us who grew up on Kanye’s music, this is devastating. To watch an icon fall victim to insane conspiracies and openly endorse hatred is something both hurtful and scary. It is difficult to accept the fact that he knows his actions are enabling hatred, and even murder, and that he is choosing to ignore this anyway. Unfortunately, Jews are no strangers to this feeling. It is a feeling that has endured throughout the centuries. 

We must not forget the history of the Holocuast, of the intolerance and alienation, and where it began. We must not unwrite that history from our collective subconscious. We have come too far to devolve again into irrational, unnecessary violence. Stand up against antisemitism, be informed, and do not fall victim to that awful downward spiral that is hatred

Harry Ross

UC Riverside '26

I am a current freshman at UCR pursuing an English degree. I have a strong interest in exploring the lifestyle and culture here through writing, and journalism. Thanks for reading!