This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

When I moved to college, it was the first time I had to think about having full creative control over a space. That being said, this first space was not conventional. It was a space that gave me just enough for basic necessities, came fully furnished, and it was split down the middle and shared with another person. Trying to decorate a place like that seemed impossible, so I settled for leaving the slate blank for the first couple of months. Why would I spend money on decorating a room that I’m going to move out of in 9 months? But after I compromised with myself and decided to decorate,  it was the best decision I could have made, here are some things I learned.

Start saving up items months before you move in. Find the oddest pieces that interest you and start collecting them. Go to thrift stores and accept items that friends and family members no longer want. Even if the item doesn’t catch your eye at the moment, it might fit really well in your new room. One of these items might also help you decide on what the theme or vibe of your room can be.

Instead of getting items that are not necessary to spice up your room, use items that you already need and get unique versions of them. Buy some fun lamps, get a bed cover that fits your room aesthetic, even play around with your school supplies and get some themed pens and stationery. You could even get a projector or some different lighting if you want to go the extra mile. The little details really are what will make the room feel personalized and like your own. 

Lastly, I can not emphasize enough, use all of the space you’re given! One of my favorite things about being given such a generic space is that you can really do anything with it. Wrap your desk with leaves and plants, put magnets on your mirrors, put up posters on your wall and really take advantage of every inch of space you are given. Doing this is also relatively budget friendly so it’s doable even if the latter options are not a possibility. Another tip that I swear by is putting up a whiteboard with markers on your wall or door. It’s a perfect, non-committal way to display your personality and allow the people you love to add their own detail to your room.

Ultimately, it is up to you to decide whether or not you want to decorate your room, or how you want it to look. But personally, decorating my room was one of the last steps to becoming fully ingrained into college. I hope these recommendations help you overcome the issue of figuring out how to decorate your room!

Hailey Moreno

UC Riverside '25

I'm currently a third-year Sociology major at UC Riverside. I love all things pop culture, writing, and music!