Canva

If you want long-form book content for a change – give these creators a try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

I must be upfront with this – I am the product of the YouTube generation. My favorite YouTube community is BookTube, where I can get solid reviews from fellow readers like me when a 5-second Reel of favorite books doesn’t cut it. Here are some of my favorites you might want to check out!

abookolive

A professional reviewer for the Christian Science Monitor, Olive’s channel offers amazing nonfiction recommendations. If you grew up watching the Wishbone TV series, she does a fun side project of reading the books featured in each episode!

Books and Bao

Willow’s channel features mostly translated works of fiction. Her reviews are insightful and eloquent, and they have fast become one of my trusted sources for good translated literature recommendations.

cozy rosy reads

If the consumerism side of the book internet bothers you, August may be the perfect choice for you, as nearly all of the books she reads are thrifted. She finds many rare gems and documents them in very cozy vlogs, as her username suggests.

* e m m i e *

Emma kicked off a “read around the world” challenge on her channel that has introduced some incredible books to me from all over. If classics and international literature intrigue you, Emma’s your girl.

Jen Campbell

If you’d like to explore more books by and about disabled individuals, author and reviewer Jen Campbell reviews and recommends plenty on her channel. A disabled author herself, her reviews are honest and educational, and she intersperses many of her videos with wonderful cooking footage.

Jess Owens

If you’re on Book Twitter and want a fellow reader who can help you cut through the noise, Jess’s “Book CommuniTEA” series will keep you in the loop on publishing strikes, online book discourse, and plenty else in addition to her book reviews.

Pages of Hayley

Hayley only recently came on my radar, and her honesty about popular BookTok books and humorous skits have made her an instant watch when her videos hit my inbox.

Reads With Rachel

Highlighting indie authors, offering honest feedback on books, keeping tabs on the shady doings of rich and famous authors, all while fighting against Christian fundamentalism is only half of what Rachel does on her channel. I haven’t disliked a single book she’s recommended yet. 

SavidgeReads

Simon’s channel mostly focuses on literary fiction, but plenty of hidden gems abound on his channel alongside his gentle British humor and wonderful travel vlogs.

withcindy

Last but certainly not least, if you enjoy rant reviews, amazing travel vlogs and mental health honesty, Cindy is one of the BookTubers I have followed for the longest and have enjoyed everything she puts out. If you don’t watch anyone else on this list, at least give Cindy a go.

I appreciate a longer form book review than a shorter one – if you’re in the same boat as me, I highly recommend these BookTubers and so many others. Finding reviewers you trust is one of the best parts of engaging in the book community online, and I hope these ones and many others I haven’t had space to list here will help you find many books you will enjoy.

Evelyn Homan

UC Riverside '24

Hiya! I'm Evelyn, and I'm a fourth-year English & Creative Writing double major, as well as an Honors student researching independent studying in the 21st century. I love literature, midwest emo and goth rock, alternative fashion, and talking. A lot.