How Netflix Show Bling Empire Gives A Spotlight to Asian Americans

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

One day I was scrolling through Netflix figuring out what to watch and I stumbled across the show called Bling Empire. This caught my attention because not only was the trailer depicting such wealthy young adults but it was a show about successful Asian Americans. The film industry has always represented white folks in movies and TV /shows which has made me question “will other races be successful on tv?” Of course diversity is slowly growing in the industry, however it is rare to see an Asian American as the main character. Bling Empire sheds light on Asian Americans which gives the hope and possibilities that the Asian community can be successful as well. At least for me, being an Asian womxn myself, I am inspired to become a boss one day. 

Despite the show being extensively dramatic, it is worth watching if you aspire to become successful. Although anyone can watch this show regardless of what age, race, or gender they identify with, I felt a great appreciation towards the characters due to their hustle. Growing up, I had always heard the stereotype that Asians either owned a small restaurant or worked at the nail salons. My parents migrated from Thailand and started from the bottom up to build their own business in the food industry. For that, a lot of people gave props to their success on coming to a whole new country and learning English to communicate, but others had picked on me saying “every Asian either owns a restaurant or a nail salon.” I will always value my parents’ hard work and dedication, however the stereotypes from others would bother me because I feel that Asians deserve more recognition for how hard they work. I’m tired of hearing about this stigma which is why I’m glad that Bling Empire shows Asian Americans breaking stereotypes and living the dream in Los Angeles. 

I encourage everyone to watch the show. Although the characters are wealthy and can overdo an event, I admire that because they can afford to spend their money however they want! I aspire to become successful myself and seeing the lifestyle of these wealthy Asian Americans educates me on how people act and to always be smart with your money and those around you.

Jenita Raksanoh

UC Riverside '21

Jenita is a Media and Cultural Studies major at the University of California, Riverside. She enjoys meal prepping, working out, having photoshoots and discovering trendy food spots. Her goal is to motivate women to become healthier and become the best version of themselves. Being a young woman in college has taught her not only academically but mentally as well, which is why she is driven to help others through Her Campus.
Deedee Plata

UC Riverside '22

20 year old creative writing major with a love for skincare, representation, and art. When not laying down and watching cartoons, I can be found working on my novel or browsing through baby name forums.