body images 2019 11 13 photo 1527236438218 d82077ae1f85jpeg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
body images 2019 11 13 photo 1527236438218 d82077ae1f85jpeg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

How My Best Friend & I Went Through a Breakup at the Same Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Dating in a pandemic has been one of the weirdest things. However, I think being broken up with during it was the cherry on top. Funny enough, my best friend and I were both in relationships during these tough times and the two of us went through a breakup within the same time frame as well. 

Unfortunately, after a year of dating the same person, my relationship came to an end and was difficult to deal with aside from other things that were disturbing my life. Breakups are never easy, so I allowed myself to feel every emotion that I was feeling. However, it was hard to balance the grieving of a breakup with the amount of stress that a pandemic and online schooling has brought. Essentially, there were too many things going on at once, but knowing that my best friend was going through a very similar situation as I felt very reassuring and I didn’t feel alone. 

My best friend and I joked that we’re always dating someone or are both single at the same time and think it’s the funniest thing of how our lives are somehow always in sync. Now that the both of us are no longer in relationships, we’ve spent our time focusing on building ourselves back up and practicing self-love, even if that means just sitting in silence with one another in bed and staring at the ceiling to process our thoughts. Thankfully, we know that we are our main priority in our lives and were there for each other through all of our relationship struggles. 

What we’ve mostly learned from each other when going through hardships like these, is that we are both worthy of love and just because one person may not see it, doesn’t mean that someone else won’t. We’ve noticed that with each breakup or heartbreak that comes, it hurts less than the last because we now know how to cope with the hurt that it brings through experience. I’m super grateful that the two of us always have each other’s back and can be there for when the other is hurting. We cry it all out and vent, and eventually always end up laughing over these situations because we know that the universe has our back and we’ll get through it all. We’re both deserving of the best and will not accept anything less than the bare minimum in a relationship. 

Even though ending a relationship with someone is a very painful and difficult situation to go through, it’s a learning experience for future relationships to know what you want and what you look for in one, especially since the two of us are still so young. I’m extremely glad to have a best friend as amazing as her to be by my side through everything we encounter during this time of our lives. 

Jasmine Aguirre

UC Riverside '21

Hi! I'm Jasmine (Jay) & I'm a 4th year Media & Cultural Studies major. I aspire to communicate through written word, in hopes that we can all learn something along the way & I love sharing all of my interests. I have a huge passion for anything music related, as I want to someday become a music journalist.