High School Musical: The Musical: The Series Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Disney+ launched last week on Tuesday, and since then, I have been watching and rewatching Disney classics like everyone else. But, I have also seen Disney+ originals like The Mandalorian and my new obsession, High School Musical: The Musical: The Series. Like many others, I had reservations on Disney taking up a classic movie and turning it into a series, but I am pleased to say that High School Musical: The Musical: The Series is a bop to the top! Set in modern-day, High School Musical: The Musical: The Series is a mockumentary (think The Office or Modern Family) with plenty of musical genre references.

[Spoiler Warning?]

(Photo Courtesy of Cosmopolitan)

Episode 1: “The Auditions”

The show begins with Miss Jenn, the new drama teacher at East High and a nostalgic millennial, who plans on staging a production of High School Musical: The Musical. Then, we are introduced to best friends: Ricky and Big Red. Ricky is a skater with no incline to musical theater, and hopes to begin his junior year by “starting over” with his girlfriend, Nini. Nini, a musical theater fan, went to a musical theater camp over the summer and met someone new after Ricky suggested they take a break. When Nini tells this to Ricky, she breaks up with him, but Ricky is determined to get her back. Knowing that Nini is going to audition for Gabriella for the school production, Ricky decides to audition for the role of Troy. The episode ends with the reveal of the cast list with Ricky as Troy and Nini as Gabriella.

(Photo Courtesy of ABC7)

Episode 2: “The Read-Thru”

In episode two, Ricky continues to fight for Nini, but Nini is with her new bae, EJ, who is playing Chad in the school’s production High School Musical. The ensemble cast then gathers to do a read through on the musical. During this read-through, EJ becomes suspicious of Ricky and his intentions with Nini, so he asks his cousin, Ashlyn (playing Ms. Darbus), to steal Nini’s phone for him and a hesitant Ashlyn agrees. As rehearsals for the musical continues, Nini blows up on Ricky, and he thinks about quitting the production. 

(Photo Courtesy of The Daily Campus)

Additional Thoughts

In its first two episodes High School Musical: The Musical: The Series continues the musical legacy left behind by the original High School Musical movies. Nevertheless, the show still includes new, original songs for the audience members. Although the title is a mouthful, it is an informative title. The Series has relatable characters, and a diverse and talented cast that add to the show’s magic. In short, this series is, as Sharpay says, Fabulous you can Bet On It!

Hola! I'm Julissa Guerrero Iniguez. I attend the University of California Riverside as an English major and Latin American Studies minor. During my free time, I like to read and do DIYs.