This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Grown-ish
ABC Signature Studios

Are you bored with your natural hair? Do you want to spice up your life? What better way to do that than dying your hair. And if you live in a dorm room,  it would be even more fun if you did it in your dorm with your hallmates. All you would need is a color dye (whether you want it temporary or permanent), trash bags, gloves, an old shirt, and lotion/vaseline.

Well, I ended up deciding to do this with my hallmates in the dorm and it actually came out pretty great. My hallmates and I went to Ulta and purchased red and blue hair dye from the brand Unicorn Hair (retails for about $16). Once we got back to the dorm, we set up trash bags on the floor of our dorm and changed into black shirts so we didn’t stain our clothes. My friend and I were dying our hair, and our other two friends were helping us put the dye on.

It took about half an hour to get the hair dye on all of our hair, and with a few funny mistakes. Before putting the dye in my hair, I made sure to put lotion on my face, ears and the nape of my neck in case any dye got on it, it would be easier to remove. My friend, on the other hand, did not do that and some hair dye got on her ears, so we were worried it would leave her ears stained with red. Additionally, we even ended up dropping some hair dye on the floor so there were a couple of small drops on the floor with red hair dye (we managed to get that out luckily).

Nappy

For my hair, I ended up mixing some of the red dye into my blue bottle. Rather than turning purple, the hair dye turned into a maroonish color. I had no idea how this would end up looking as an outcome on my hair since I had golden highlights and with the two mixtures it could have been something completely different. After waiting for about 45 minutes to an hour, I went into the shower and washed my hair and the whole shower basically turned red as the excess dye was coming out. 

Once I finished, I went back to my dorm. I started brushing my hair but didn’t want to look in the mirror and see how my hair looked since it was not completely dry. I then started to blow-dry it so it would completely dry and I was a little scared to see the outcome. I turned to face the mirror and I was actually pretty happy with the outcome of my hair and how it looked different. It looked pretty cool since I tended to mostly stick to natural hair colors rather than vibrant colors like the one my hair had now.

Lindsay Thompson-Walking Happy Skipping Dress Colorful Mural Miami Summer Boots Rainbow
Lindsay Thompson / Her Campus

It ended up looking red and it was just really nice to look at. My friends that lived next door instantly rushed over to see my hair when they heard about it, and ended up loving how it looked. It was something that was completely out of my comfort zone, but I really like the way it looked. Probably one of the funniest ways to dye your hair with friends while in college, which I really enjoyed. I highly recommend you try, but please be careful with staining your dorm area!

Ashleen Herrarte

UC Riverside '22

Ashleen was a UCR Political Science and Philosophy major. She graduated from UCR back in Spring 2022. When she was not writing articles for HCUCR, she was usually spending time with friends by going out to eat yummy foods or watching shows at home. She hopes you enjoyed reading her articles!