This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Now that gasoline prices have been skyrocketing, people are desperately trying to figure out ways to save that extra penny in their pockets. Some people choose to carpool, whereas others who are less fortunate than those who actually own a car, choose other modes of transportation such as biking, skateboarding, longboarding, skating, riding the bus, or walking. However, if you are looking for a healthy, yet efficient way to get to and from school, why not walk?! The Well at UCR offers a program called GO! which encourages UCR students to walk instead of driving. Not only does that save the environment from pollution, but the Well will also reward walkers with prizes! For example, 100,000 steps wins you a GO T-shirt, 250,000 steps a GO jump rope, 500,000 steps a GO water bottle, 750,000 steps a GO tote, 1,000,000,000 steps a free training session at the Student Recreation Center, and 5,000,000,000 an entry into an iPod raffle. What a better way to help preserve the earth, exercise, and ultimately get rewarded for your efforts! 

So how do you sign up? Register and create an account at the website:

http://thewellwalkingprogram.walkertracker.com/

All you need is a pedometer or a pedometer program on your respective smartphone (iPhone, Blackberry, Samsung Galaxy, etc.) You can either go to the Well and request for a free pedometer or purchase your own. From there, you can attach your pedometer to your belt or place it inside the pocket of your pants and go. Track your steps daily by logging into your account. Once you have reached the required amount of steps to claim to your promised prizes, print a spreadsheet of your steps as proof, and then head over to the Well to receive your prizes! Don’t forget, you can also earn an unlimited amount of steps if you choose to wear your pedometer during any physical activity like playing basketball, running on the treadmill, and more! What else are you waiting for? GO!

Nicole Martinez

UC Riverside

Nicole is a senior at UC Riverside where she is majoring in Media and Culture studies. She co-founded the Her Campus UC Riverside chapter her sophomore year in college. She loves to spend her free time watching The Mindy Project, Girls, Pretty Little Liars, and other shows with leading ladies. She also dabbles on tumblr, instagram (obviwearetheladies), and twitter. Mindy Kailing and Shoshanna are her spirit animals and in the near future she hopes to achieve elite status on Yelp, pursue a career in Public Relations and ultimately conquer the world.