Hub Anatomy of Aesthetic edgetotedge hero 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Hub Anatomy of Aesthetic edgetotedge hero 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Fashion

Gen Z Fashion and Culture

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

In the realm of fashion, Gen Z navigates style in authentic and visionary manners. Known as the generation that grew up alongside the rise of the internet and social media, people born between 1997 to 2012 are not afraid to mix old styles with new trends to create looks that reflect what is important today. Here are a few of my current Gen Z icons, and what they wear says about today’s teenage and young adult culture. 

Olivia Rodrigo executes Gen Z’s youth through mismatched patterns, sequins, and bows. A lot of the time, she is photographed wearing vibrant colors and textured fabrics. Through graphic tees and ballet flats, Olivia’s style showcases our generation’s sense of high spirits and adolescence.

Conan Gray is the perfect example of how men’s fashion has broken traditional barriers for Gen Z. Previously a YouTuber and then a music artist, Conan’s allure comes predominantly from the clothes he wears at his shows, on magazine covers, and at important events. A lot of elements of Conan Gray’s style include sheer fabrics, floral patterns, crop tops, and abstract silhouettes. If there’s one notable thing about Gen Z, it is our notable attempts to challenge gender boundaries through style and confidence. Conan Gray executes this well by not being afraid to rock a skirt as a man, showing the rest of our young men that clothes do not take away from someone’s masculinity. 

Pop star and actress Sabrina Carpenter makes a statement with a variety of her looks. As the opening act for Taylor Swift’s international show, The Eras Tour, Sabrina is styled in various versions of custom Frolov mini dresses with open heart cut-out shapes displayed on the chest. The look reminds me a lot of this generation’s open-mindedness and heart; we are known as a more empathetic generation who welcomes the ethics of loving anyone regardless of sex, race, and orientation. In addition, the elements of a corset and lace in the looks Sabrina Carpenter wears are a direct reflection of what femininity has become today for young women, not something to be judged as trampy, but something that says we are comfortable in our skin and are not afraid to hide. To tie it all in, the tall chunky-heeled boots that Sabrina wears are inspired by 90’s runway fashion and elevate her, not only in stature but also what this says about young talented women rising to stardom at a young age through social media and making it big in the music industry. 

Elisa Chavez

UC Riverside '27

Hello, my name is Elisa and I am a first year English major beyond thrilled to be a part of the writing committee. My favorite hobby in the world revolves around reading romance and fantasy novels, in fact I love spending time at bookstores. It is also worth mentioning that I adore cats, indie music, Harry Styles, and watching "Gilmore Girls" all year round.