Life > Academics

Five College Application Tips You Should Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

College Application season is upon us! Applying to college is very exciting, but also overwhelming and stressful. It can also be very isolating; maybe you are the first person in your family to apply to college, or maybe you do not have anyone in your life who can offer words of wisdom from their own experience applying. Whatever the reason, applying to college for the first time is nerve wracking, but I am here to help! While I was applying to college the world was in the thick of the pandemic, which meant my ability to access help was quite limited and the internet can only do so much.  I had to figure out many things on my own. However, it does not have to be that way! Below are five tips I wish I had when I was applying for college. 

1. Start early

For the Cal State and UC school systems, applications are open from October 1st to November 30th for Fall 2024. However, your application process should start well before then. Start considering how you plan to approach college applications at the beginning of your senior year in highschool. The first step could be formulating a list of schools you are interested in. Lots of people have one dream school in mind, but creating a list of schools can give you peace of mind and variety. Perhaps you are like me and do not have a specific school in mind, but you do know what you want to major in. Start researching schools that offer that major and go from there. However you start, creating a list of five to six schools is a great way to get the ball rolling and ensures you have plenty of options. 

1. Don’t be afraid to reach out the universities themselves for help

While choosing which schools to apply to, you may run across confusing information about deadlines, letters of recommendation, etc. Although it can feel intimidating to reach out to the university for help, I highly recommend it. Admissions counselors are a great resource but many college applicants do not utilize them. By reaching out you are creating the habit of asking for assistance, which is an essential part of being a college student. It is also a great way to familiarize yourself with the university’s resources, as well as introduce yourself to someone you may interact with in the future. Establishing a line of communication with an admissions counselor gives you that extra support during a stressful time. 

1. Pace yourself

Applying to college is not going to happen in one night. It is a lengthy process and you should prepare yourself. The best way to pace yourself while applying to college is to do a little each day. Maybe one day, create your application account. The next, log in and scan over the application so you know what to expect. Pacing yourself also gives you time to decide which essay questions you want to answer, and begin drafting your responses. Give yourself enough time to ask for letters of recommendation, request transcripts, and tour your schools. Two months is a short period of time, but by doing a little each day you will be right on schedule to submit your applications. 

1. Stay in touch with your high school counselor

High school counselors are another excellent resource during college application season. They are a go-to for letters of recommendation and they often have connections to universities. Most importantly, they will most likely be the ones helping you access your transcripts, so it is important to reach out to them.  Additionally, they are well-versed in the college applications process. While applying to college I was emailing my high school counselor constantly! Although sometimes I felt bad for asking so many questions, I eventually realized that they are here to help and want their students to be successful. If you have never met your counselor don’t worry, it is never too late to establish that relationship. You do not have to set up an appointment– try sending an email! Counselors are just another level of support that will make the application process easier and it is nice to have an extra person in your corner cheering you on. One of the first people I told after being accepted into college was my high school counselor, and their excitement made it all the more special.

1. Go to college nights and application workshops

While I was applying to college, Covid-19 was still spreading rapidly and the world was continuing to quarantine, which meant many events like college nights and workshops did not happen. However, now that my sister is applying to college, I can see how beneficial they are. College nights are often events hosted by high schools to give more information about the process and offer resources to students and their families. After my sister went to a college night she had a much better idea of what schools she wanted to apply to. Application workshops are another resource that can be extremely helpful. These workshops often offer their own computers, so if you do not have a reliable internet source that is helpful. Furthermore, admissions counselors usually attend these events as well and can give tricks and tips on how to make your application the best it can be.

Applying to college is a huge step. It is stressful and can cause lots of uncertainty, but by creating a plan you can alleviate lots of that worry. Applying does not have to be a lonely experience; there are so many resources and people who are willing to help. After all, college is a financial and long-term investment in yourself. It is beneficial to understand the college application process so you make the best choice for you.

Emily Manus

UC Riverside '25

Emily is a third-year public policy major. She hopes to write about her passions and issues that are important to her as well as the UCR community. Emily's interests include the arts, media, and culture.