This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

As the temperature starts to drop and Christmas music starts playing on the radio, I enter my favorite time of year. The months of October, November, and December are a golden trio simply because they have the best holidays – Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. That, coupled with the cold weather, brings nostalgia and comfort. 

Of course, hot drinks are always complementary with cold weather. Specifically, hot chocolate. Growing up, I was used to making my own hot chocolate with instant hot chocolate mix. This time around, I decided to go on a mini scavenger hunt to find the best hot chocolate recipe to make at home. I scoured the internet for these recipes and put them to a tasting test.

Swiss Miss Rich Hot Chocolate Mix

Of course, we have to start with a classic. This hot chocolate reminds me of my childhood, but that’s about it. The flavor is extremely mediocre and a bit too sweet for my liking. Although this version was the “Rich Chocolate Flavor,” it lacked the richness that I would expect. However, it took less than 2 minutes to make and the mini marshmallows that come in the packet were a nice touch. I’d rate this one a 5/10.

Hersey’s Hot Cocoa for One

For this recipe, I added 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder with one tablespoon of sugar to adjust for sweetness. This hot chocolate was very pleasant compared to the last one, since I tasted more of the cocoa flavor than the sugar. However, since this was made in the microwave, the cocoa powder didn’t dissolve completely. I had to strain the liquid a lot to get the clumps out, so this took around 4-5 minutes to make. I’d rate this one a 7/10.

Celebrating Sweet’s Homemade Hot Chocolate

I didn’t realize how much of a difference making hot chocolate on the stovetop would make compared to making it in the microwave. This hot chocolate was smooth with no clumps, since I whisked the liquid throughout the process. The combination of the cocoa powder and the melted dark chocolate chips made the hot chocolate very rich, but it was the type of richness that soothes you on a cold winter night. Just to spice it up a bit, I added in a quarter teaspoon of Trader Joe’s Pumpkin Pie Spice. The mix of spices definitely enhanced the richness of the drink which helped me finish my mug in seconds. Although this recipe took the longest to make (about 10 minutes), it was worth it for the delicious cup of hot chocolate. 9.5/10 for this one!

I can confidently say that thanks to this little “experiment,” I now have a new go-to recipe to make for my winter nights. I also learned that making hot chocolate on the stovetop will always be superior.

Angelin Simon

UC Riverside '24

Angelin is currently pursuing a B.S. in Neuroscience at UC Riverside. In her free time, she enjoys taking long naps, stargazing, and painting.
Deedee Plata

UC Riverside '22

20 year old creative writing major with a love for skincare, representation, and art. When not laying down and watching cartoons, I can be found working on my novel or browsing through baby name forums.