This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

With finals finally reaching their end and break beginning, it leaves me with more time to reflect on how the quarter went. This quarter marked the beginning of my third year here at UCR. I had many firsts during this time. Some of these firsts included my first time living off campus, first time having my own room since high school, first time receiving scholarships, and so on.

This quarter, I also experienced my first time having a job with consistent hours as well as managing my second job while remaining a full-time student. Now that I am more than half-way done with my time here at UCR, I have started thinking more about graduate school and becoming more consistent with getting my school-work done. This quarter already had so much growth and opportunities for me.

However, it was also probably one of the most difficult I had since my first year here in college. I dealt with personal issues involving family and friends, financial issues, and worked myself to the bone with two jobs during the summer. Regardless though, I believe all those bad things made me more grateful for the good. It also reminded me that when the bad happens, they don’t last forever. 

Image by Pinterest

Growing older, it definitely made me more serious about my studies. I realized that my education should not be taken for granted, and I am surrounded by people who keep me grounded and remind me that I made it here for a reason. Fall quarters have a history of being the most difficult for me, so of course I was a bit hesitant when starting this one up. Having those people like coworkers, family, and bosses made this transition easier. They also give me inspiration for myself to keep going when I want to give up and recognition for my accomplishments.

This quarter I had to be more mindful of my time as well since I have bills to pay for now and more deadlines because of work. 

Photo by Mamiverse

Looking forward, I believe next quarter I want to become more organized and relaxed. I usually have a tendency to become so overwhelmed with my things to do that I don’t do them, or I waste time trying to figure out where to begin. I also want to try to write down work deadlines more, and try to sleep earlier so I can take my time going to work or school. Usually, I would go with just enough time instead of giving myself more time so I don’t have to rush in the mornings. Luckily, this next quarter I start my days later and have Fridays off!

I encourage everyone to look back at their quarter, find what they did good or need to improve on, then make next quarter a great one! Happy break!

Photo by Flickr

Mya Benavides

UC Riverside '21

Lover of kindness, music, and creating. Undergrad at UCR pursuing a B.A. in Sociology along with a Minor in English.