Engineer Major: Leo Torres

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

When we think of Engineering first thing that comes to mind are long sleepless nights filled with complicated studying. Here, Leo, an aspiring Bio Engineer, gives us an insight on what it is like to be an Engineering major at UC Riverside.

The Basics
Name: Leo Torres
Major: Bioegnineering
Year: Junior
Hometown: Mission Viejo

Getting to Know You:

What activities are you involved in on campus?

I am a part of two engineering societies: the BioMedical Engineering Society (BMES) and the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE). I am the webmaster for BMES and the fundraising chair for SHPE.  BMES is an organization dedicated to unite those interested in the Biomedical field and we help them prepare for the professional world. We also reach out to the community by going to schools and explaining to students what engineering/bioengineering is and give them a better idea of what possibilities are available after high school. SHPE is committed to the advancement of Hispanic engineers. We help students transition from high school to college, and prepare them for the professional world as well.

How do you manage everything so well?

I think that it all has to do with a routine. I have mine and it helps keep everything in check.  I also choose to sleep small amounts.

If you could switch places with anyone for a day who would it be? Why?

A musician. I always wanted to see how it would be like being a hardworking musician. I would like to see if the grass is really greener on the other side.

What is your favorite pastime?

I really enjoy hanging out and talking over food. I really enjoy cuisine and people make the experience more enjoyable.

What are your goals for the future?

Short term I would love to be a primary author of a scientific publication. I want to get my masters at Stanford and PhD afterwards. Ultimately though, I want my own Biotechnology company.

If the world would end tomorrow what is the one thing you wish to do?

Take my mom and sister on a well-deserved vacation.

What is a typical day in the life of a Bioengineering Major?

It begins by waking up at 7 am. Get to school at 8am. Study until class starts, eat, study, go to class, eat, work out around 10pm, shower, and go back to campus to study. Once the clock hits 2 am it’s time to sleep.

What do you wish to do with your Bioengineering Degree?

I want to do so much! I am currently really interested in tissue engineering. Protein synthesis is really cool as well. However, my life career goal is to develop a novel method to regenerate cartilage to help those with rheumatoid arthritis.

In ten years where do you see yourself?

Ten years from now I see myself in a postdoc position–working with a medical facility doing top notch research in rheumatoid arthritis.

What is one thing you would like other aspiring Engineers to know? (As your major might be intimidating to some)

It takes a lot of work but it is totally worth it. The amount of knowledge and opportunities attained from an engineering degree is endless. Nothing is too hard with enough hard work.

Lastly, Team Edward or Team Jacob?

Team “can this series be over already?”