DIY with Dariana: Spookify your room this Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Hello, HC Cuties! It’s been a while since we last met. Apparently four months was not enough of a vacation because most of us are already counting down the days till the holiday break (or is that just me?) Even though the school year has just begun, the holidays are already upon us. The closest one we have is Halloween, which even though it doesn’t give us the day off, is still pretty awesome. But as 18-20something year olds, some of us might feel a little too old to be tricking or treating. Around that time there will most likely be those random costume-frat ragers but for those of us who aren’t really into the party scene what else is left? A thriller movie night with friends is always an option (bonus points if you’re brave enough to watch them by yourself and sleep with the light off) or maybe even dressing up so you can make the selfie of you in your your amazing costume your profile picture for the next month. Since Halloween is still a few weeks away, what can you do in the meantime? I’m glad you have asked fellow collegiettes, because here I have two easy ways to show off your Halloween spirit in your apartment (or chosen place of living).

Materials:

• Scissors
  • Tape
  • Black poster paper
  • String/yarn
  • Ruler
  • Pencil
  • Optional: Other colored paper

To make the cobwebs:

STEP 1: Cut a big square (depending on how big you want the web to be) out of the black poster paper. Fold it in half diagonally. Fold in half again two more times.

It should look a little like this:

STEP 2: To prevent the paper from opening up or moving around while you’re cutting, tape one side of it (the open side).

STEP 3: Draw in this pattern to use as a guideline of where to cut.

STEP 4: Cut out the pattern (remember to remove the tape when you’re done).

STEP 5: Hang your finished masterpiece and welcome some happy spiders into their new home!

To make the window cutouts:

STEP 1: Fold a piece of paper in half (for the bat cutout).

STEP 2:  Draw in the shape of what you want to cut out on the paper (bat, spider, ghost, monster, etc.)

STEP 3: Cut out the shapes and give your characters some personality!

STEP 4: Hang them in whatever window you think they will look the scariest! I added in some pipe-cleaner spiders for extra pop. Be creative and let your spooky imagination run wild!

Spooktastic Crafting, HC Cuties!

Darcie Chapman

UC Riverside

UC Riverside

UC Riverside