DIY with Dariana: Spend a Day at the Spa Without Spending Yourself Dry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

So last week we learned about how to renew our wardrobe to fit our still-fresh 2014 resolutions. To match our newly improved clothes we should look refreshed and revamped too, right? Here I’ll show you guys a few easy ways to pamper yourself and start the new year off right!

For your hair:

Recipe 1:

•1 egg yolk

Recipe 2:

•1/3 cup of mayonnaise (or however much you think you will need to coat your hair−varies depending on hair length)
•2-3 tbsp lime juice

Recipe 3:

•1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
•1 tbsp olive oil
•2 tbsp honey

To give some moisture and softness to that dry nest of twigs on your head (but really, mine sometimes feels like that), make a mixture of said ingredients for whichever recipe you choose. Spread evenly throughout your whole head starting at the roots, focusing more on the tips or where the dryness is most prominent. Cover your head with a shower cap or a plastic bag and leave on for at least 20 minutes. Wash off with shampoo as you would regularly. And voila! Way better than those expensive conditioning treatments they try to force on you at the hair salon!

Tip: Hair masks work better when applied onto unwashed hair.

For your face:

To help minimize pores (also good for oily skin)– Using the egg white you have left over from your egg yolk hair mask, make a frothy mixture by mixing it vigorously with a whisk or fork. After it achieves that foamy consistency, apply all over your face being careful to avoid getting it in your eyes, nose or mouth since it is raw egg. Leave the mask on for approximately 15 minutes or when you feel the mask harden up. Wash with warm water and see your pores have almost disappeared! 

To help add moisture to dry skin– Adding moisture back to your face usually takes similar ingredients as it does to your hair, so you can reuse the same ingredients and get twice the bang for your buck. Using the honey from the hair recipe, add 2 tbsp of it to 2 tbsp of avocado. Mix into a paste-like consistency and apply to your face. Leave on for 30 minutes and wash off with warm water. Tip: If you don’t have avocados at hand or if you’re just looking for a cheaper substitute, bananas are always a good replacement.

To help fight acne– From experience, I can say that finding a natural remedy to help keep acne away is not an easy thing. I’ve tried everything from rubbing banana peels on my face to using foul-smelling aloe vera and even looking like a monster with globs of oatmeal all over my face−none of which ever left my face any clearer. I’ve found that this mask using equal parts strawberries and non-flavored yogurt not only works as a great snack but also as a great acne fighter! Just make sure to mush up the strawberries first so that it becomes like a paste when you add the yogurt. Apparently, strawberries contain salicylic acid, an ingredient commonly found in acne treatments, which is great since you can now get the same results of an acne treatment but naturally! 

Tip: Before applying the masks, it’s a good idea to make sure your face is clean of any makeup and that your hair is tied back so you don’t get it all messy. 

For your lips:

During the winter, my lips get extremely chapped and I have to carry around like 3 different types of chapstick to keep my lips from disintegrating into dust. Even though apparently winter hasn’t reached California yet, better to be safe than sorry and try out this lip softening recipe! Add 1 tbsp of Vaseline, 1 tbsp of honey and 2 tbsp of sugar into a small bowl and mix well. Add a quarter-sized amount onto your lips and exfoliate. Wash off the mixture with warm water and enjoy your silky lips! 

So there you have it fellow Highlanders, 7 easy ways to help us not only look good but feel good this new year!

Happy Crafting, HC Cuties and make 2014 count!

Darcie Chapman

UC Riverside

UC Riverside

UC Riverside