This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

You may have seen Connor Richards walking through the doors of the Physics building or running around at the UCR Sports Complex with a broom between his legs and a bludger in his hands. First-year Connor Richards has a lot going between being an AP Chemistry/AP Calculus/AP Physics tutor twice a week to researching about high-energy physics looking for dark matter candidate particles. Connor may just be first year undergraduate student but he already has his future planned. And sorry ladies, Connor Richards is already taken, bummer.

Major/Minor: Physics

Hometown: San Diego

Favorite Ice Cream Flavor: Ben and Jerry’s Phish Food

Favorite Movie: Hot Fuzz

When you’re not studying, what do you like to do?

– I love playing Quidditch, spending time with my girlfriend, and tutoring. I am addicted to Asahi (sushi place) so I got there every chance I get. Whenever I go back home, I am always going to the beach or playing soccer with friends. Like a typical college student, I like to sleep every chance I can get. I also enjoy reading physics books pertaining to the programming and physics knowledge necessary to work with a group of physicists who work based out of CERN (European Organization for Nuclear Research) which hopefully leads me to taking many trips to Europe before I graduate.

Are you involved with anything on campus? Off campus?

– I am a member of the UCR Quiz Bowl team; I am currently in training to become a resident advisor for the 2013-2014 school year. I am also researching about high-energy physics looking for dark matter candidate particles. Off campus, I am a AP Calculus/AP Chemistry/AP Physics tutor and a member of the Riverside Quidditch Team.

What are your plans for after you graduate?

– I’d like to go to grad school either at Stanford, east coast, or England. Hopefully earn a Post-doc position and work towards becoming a professor.

What is your favorite thing about UC Riverside?

– Being a physics major, I like the physics department. I love how it is still in Southern California so it is kind of like home but still far enough from home that I get to meet new people. Also, the Quidditch team is pretty awesome.

Is there anyone in your life who you consider your hero?

– I would have to say that my girlfriend and my mom are my heroes. They are both really strong women and I rely on them so much. I am such a mama’s boy and I love my girlfriend. Growing up my mom was always there for me and since I am an only child she always took me to baseball games and taught me how to play when I was little. My girlfriend and I have been together for over two and a half years and I’ve seen her go through so much and she has always stayed positive and she always encourages me and is there for me.

Anything else you want people to know about you?

– I am a very friendly, approachable human being despite the fact that I am a Physics major. We are actually all very nice even though there are hardly any girls.

Quote or saying you live by:

–         “All of science is either physics or stamp collecting.” Ernest Rutherford.

Unnati Gandhi

UC Riverside

I am a first-year Biology major at the University of California, Riverside.
UC Riverside

UC Riverside