diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

I love concerts. There’s something about seeing an artist perform live that changes the way you appreciate the music. The feeling of the bass physically in your body and lyrics echoing throughout the venue. It’s a beautiful experience. I’ve gone to a total of thirteen shows in my life. My first show was actually while my mom was pregnant with me. Thirteen may not seem like much but, I sure learned a few things.

(Photo by Anthony DELANOIX on Unsplash)

1. Follow The Rules

Every venue has different rules and regulations when it comes to what you’re allowed to bring inside and do at the event. It may be tedious but make sure to take some time to research the venue. One of the rules commonly seen is that bags aren’t allowed to be bigger than a small bag. The most important thing to consider is the less you carry with you the better. Doing this will help you get through the line quicker. I recommend investing in a fanny pack, they’re stylish and practical. The small size limits you to only bringing the essentials like your wallet, portable charger, and keys. Overall, the more comfortable and safe you are, the more you can enjoy yourself.

(Photo by veeterzy from Pexels)

2. Put Down Your Phone

Seeing your favorite artist live is something you’ll never want to forget but, it’s also something you should experience in the moment. I totally understand wanting and needing to record the show, but the experience is not the same. I’m not going to lie, the first concert I went to I made sure I recorded every single moment. Ironically, I don’t remember much from that night. One time I decided to put my phone away as much as possible and it made a difference. Not only will it let you appreciate your time there, but it’s also just plain rude to block the views of those around you. Attendees paid to be there too and we don’t want to imagine what’s going on the stage. If you can’t resist the urge, I recommend recording only your absolute favorite songs and then putting your phone away in a safe place.

(Photo by Juliette F on Unsplash)

3. Moshpits Aren’t For Everyone

Depending on the artist you’re planning to see, the intensity of the show can get out of hand. If you’re going to see Mumford and Sons you’re probably not going to get trampled but for any other energetic artist, you may experience a moshpit. To the best of my knowledge, the keywords to listen for are “open up the pit.” At that moment you should seek a safe place, especially if you don’t have experience with mosh pits or they’re just not your thing. I recently went to a BROCKHAMPTON concert and after researching, I learned the pits are known for getting dangerous. The night of, I wasn’t in or near the middle but I still got knocked down constantly. I saw people begging to be let out and when they made it out, they were dripping in sweat. A proper moshpit respects when people want to get out and will help anyone in need but sometimes people aren’t respectful. Use your best judgment when it comes to dangerous situations.

(Photo by Benjamin Voros on Unsplash)

4. Look Out for Everyone’s Safety

All-in-all, we’re here to have a good time but that comes with responsibilities. If you’re of drinking age, know your limits and respect those who are younger around you. If you’re not drinking alcohol, make sure to drink tons of water. Look out for your friends and others who look dehydrated. Sometimes security will hand out waters, so pass it along to those who need it the most. For example, during a show I attended a girl in the audience fainted so we all banned together to bring attention to her and cleared a path, he stopped the whole show to get the security’s attention. Like I mentioned before, if there’s a moshpit and you see someone struggling to get out, lend a helping hand. Maybe you see another attendee physically uncomfortable from an interaction, walk over and try to break up the situation or if you feel unsafe call for security. No matter the situation, we all have to look out for each other.

These things aren’t something you could have found on the venue’s website but they’re still important to know. Concert etiquette takes time to learn but be patient because through your own and other’s experiences you’ll be prepared for anything.

Daniela Olguin

UC Riverside '20

Daniela is a sophomore studying sociology at the University of California, Riverside. After graduating, she plans to continue her education in graduate school and pursue a career in the realm of sociology. Outside of school, she can be found at the Student Association of Latino-Spanish Affairs planning out events and recruiting members. In her free time, she binge watches Catfish: The TV Show, rewatches Vines, or listens to the same three albums over and over again.
Hi, I'm Savannah. I'm currently a Senior at UCRiveride studying Sociology. After graduation, I'm looking into doing Public Relations with a media and entertainment company. My favorite things to do are find the best shopping deals and go on road trips.