Cocaine Bear is the Next Horror Movie on Your Watchlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

When it comes to horror movies, the plots can be pretty outrageous with common tropes like haunted houses and creepy dolls. So when the trailer for the new movie Cocaine Bear was released a few months ago, it is no surprise that people on the internet immediately gravitated towards it. 

The title alone speaks volumes. A movie called Cocaine Bear? Is that really the title? Surprisingly, the title as well as the overall concept of the film were inspired by a real life event. In reality, the bear that ingested cocaine ended up passing away, but the movie takes many creative liberties by making the bear a life threatening presence. 

Aside from exaggerating the ridiculousness of a bear getting high on drugs, the film also relies on a mix of distinctive intertwining characters who encounter their deranged antagonist in alarming ways. There are the drug dealers, the cops chasing said drug dealers, the pre-teens whose innocent quest in the woods goes awry and the mom who goes looking for them. While the bear may be the star of the show in many ways, the human characters have a similarly intriguing narrative.

The ensemble cast of characters and their fight against the bear makes for an overall entertaining and suspenseful watch. Without giving too much away, the sequence of onscreen events is able to keep viewers on their toes through striking visuals (see Variety’s article breaking down the making of the CGI bear here) and effective dialogue that makes it a perfect modern portrayal of what a horror movie is all about. 

Cocaine Bear marks a venture into new territory for director Elizabeth Banks, who previously directed Charlie’s Angels (2019) and Pitch Perfect 2 (2015). By stepping into horror, Banks showcases her range as a filmmaker. If you have been looking for a fun movie that balances elements of comedy and terror, do not count Cocaine Bear out. 

Cocaine Bear is now in theaters.

Alyssa Gordon

UC Riverside '24

Hi, I'm Alyssa! I'm a fourth-year Media and Cultural Studies major with an English minor. I love anything pop culture and baking related. When I'm not writing, I can be found reading or rewatching episodes of my favorite 2010's sitcoms.