This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

I’ll be the first to say it… Netflix and I are in a very, very toxic relationship. 

But I’m not ashamed. She gives me what I need when I need it. And for that, I am grateful. Even more so, I am grateful for the introduction to the man I never knew that I was desperate to know: Heisenberg.

And let me say, what a pleasure it was.

kimmy schmit tv gif
Netflix / Giphy

Over the course of 1 month, I went on a rollercoaster with one of the greatest cooks in all of the Southwest. And as much as I hate to be the person to be in cahoots with a toxic person, I was rooting for Walter White. And to some extent, I think we all secretly were.

To be honest, I came across Walter White just when I needed him. All the Rocky Road in the world meant nothing without Heisenberg teaching me that if I was going to do something, I better be the best at it. 

And even though, in the end, he turned out to be a bit too crazy for my liking, he taught me all the things I needed to learn when I needed to learn them. To know that I can always do better than I’ve done. To know that the only competition is me. And that I’m the only person I need to beat while simultaneously understanding that the only person who CAN beat me IS me. 

Photo by Oladimeji Odunsi on Unsplash

He taught me how to do or die. He taught me not to give up unless I try. Although the end result wasn’t exactly what I was looking for, the principle was the same: to believe in myself.

Jasmin Gonzalez

UC Riverside '20

From beauty tips, life hacks, personal diaries, social media cleanses, relationship advice and REALLY unveiling the realities of mental health; keep up with my journey on discussing it all!