This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Since the internet has become a huge part of our lives, it’s rare that book recommendations are ever brought up in a conversation. However, when they do, I’m quick to answer with my favorite book for people who enjoy reading but also don’t want to spend a lot of time doing it. This book is The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. 

I had gotten this book on my 15th birthday, and after reading the first few pages, I had quickly gotten bored of it and kept it aside. The premise of the book looked predictable: a boy who searches for treasure and his journey along the way. However, the next time I picked it up was when I was 18 last summer, in the midst of the pandemic and when my mental health was at its lowest point. 

young Indian woman You\'re not like other Indians
Photo by ajjad Hussain M from Burst / Shopify
This time, I managed to finish the 170-page book within a week and I enjoyed every single page. Although the premise does indeed seem like the typical hero’s journey that we’re all used to, what makes The Alchemist different from the other books is that it’s about more than just the journey itself. It’s also about why he’s on that journey. It’s about how that journey ties into the boy’s dreams and if they’re really achievable in the long run. It’s about the beauty of what life has to offer and how lingering on the past will get you nowhere.  The book is indeed a work of fiction, but it incorporates philosophical elements into the story too which is what makes it so memorable. And it’s probably why I wasn’t that interested in the book three years ago because, at that time, I was only interested in fiction and the plot. 

Women reading on bed
Photo by Samson Kate from Pexels
So for those who want to ease themselves back into reading, I recommend trying out The Alchemist. It’s perfect for people around our age who are searching for some sense of meaning in their lives. It’s a quick read, too, so it’s great to read during a road trip or for a short break during the weekend. 

I hope you enjoy it and it’ll help you rediscover (or ignite!) your passion for reading!

Angelin Simon

UC Riverside '24

Angelin is currently pursuing a B.S. in Neuroscience at UC Riverside. In her free time, she enjoys taking long naps, stargazing, and painting.
Deedee Plata

UC Riverside '22

20 year old creative writing major with a love for skincare, representation, and art. When not laying down and watching cartoons, I can be found working on my novel or browsing through baby name forums.