Emily in Paris. (L to R) Lily Collins as Emily, Ashley Park as Mindy in episode 209 of Emily in Paris
Photo by Stéphanie Branchu/Netflix
Life > Experiences

Best Friend Breakup 101

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

During my fall quarter, I dealt with a best friend breakup. I hadn’t really gone through one since middle school so it really hit me hard. It was also something I never saw coming since I had always considered this person one of my best friends, but I guess to them I didn’t mean the same. It was difficult at first because it made me question my relationship with pretty much everyone else. My best friend hadn’t been my friend rally, but just kept me close because of my connections as well as me being able to help with their academics; in reality, I was being used. It’s been taking some time to get over it, but this is what I think has helped me the most. 

1. Hanging out with people who enjoy my company

Although it made me question my relationship with others, I have tried to spend more time with people that I know and have told me they like spending time with me. I didn’t necessarily cut down my social circle but I’ve been spending more time with people who want to be there with me and where the effort goes both ways. It’s been a couple of months of doing so and I think it really has benefited me by truly interacting with people that I want to keep in my life as well as just keeping in touch with old friends and seeing how people are doing. 

1. Realizing it’s okay to lose people

Initially, I would keep questioning why it was that it had happened. I didn’t really understand how it was that my best friend had been using me for so long without realizing it. It made me wonder if it were possible for the outcome to have been different. Then I started to think about it more and more, and I knew that inevitably one way or another we would’ve stopped being friends. Although our friendship might have ended on a bad note, there was a chance it still could’ve ended that way but years later so I knew that it was okay that such a thing had happened and it was better that it happened sooner rather than later.

1. Writing about it

This is probably the best way that I’ve managed to get over it. I have been able to express my feelings on paper rather than communicating it since it’s difficult to talk about it with my other friends, especially those who knew her. Some of them thought I should give her the benefit of the doubt or just talk to her about the problem, but I couldn’t and by writing it all out, I was able to discuss how it is that I felt and actually put pieces together to better understand how it all happened.

Best friend breakups can be tough. Thankfully I’ve been able to spend time with other friends to not feel so down about it as well as see that there are people who care about me. Losing one person may initially seem very painful, but knowing that there will always be people who

Ashleen Herrarte

UC Riverside '22

Ashleen was a UCR Political Science and Philosophy major. She graduated from UCR back in Spring 2022. When she was not writing articles for HCUCR, she was usually spending time with friends by going out to eat yummy foods or watching shows at home. She hopes you enjoyed reading her articles!