This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

I think one of the biggest heartbreaks is being “catfished” by beauty products. As a lover of all things make-up and skincare, I have been through this many times when I see a product with great reviews and it does not live up to its expectations. Here are some beauty products that I regret buying so you can be certain your money is spent wisely.

Lanolips 101 ointment multibalm 

I bought this product after a Youtuber raved all about it. It is a multi balm ointment that you can apply anywhere your skin is dry such as the lips, elbows, dry patches on your face, and anywhere else. I thought this would be a perfect essential for the winter season when my skin gets the driest. First of all, the product size is tiny. It is half my palm. This wouldn’t be an issue if I didn’t pay $16. For $16 I don’t think this product is worth it. Not to mention, my lips feel moisturized for a short time and then I have to keep reapplying. Save your money and buy a mini Vaseline tub instead.  

Item Beauty mascara 

After watching tons of videos about how amazing this product is, I finally gave in. I was on the hunt to find the perfect mascara for my long, straight lashes that won’t hold a curl. So many loved this product because of the fact it holds the curl all day. I tried it and it failed. The mascara started to flake a few hours after wearing it and, of course, my lashes fell. This product was also $14, so I think it’s best to find a drugstore mascara for much cheaper. My hunt for the perfect mascara still lives on. 

Maddie Zielgler lip gloss

I bought Maddie Ziegler’s lipgloss set during a Black Friday sale. I used to be obsessed with Dance Moms so I had been wanting to try out her new lip kits. It came with a lip gloss and a putty blush. The blush was cute and pigmented, but the lip gloss wasn’t that great. It was really sticky and dried out fast. Personally, I like “high shine” lip glosses and this one didn’t give that great effect. I feel her make-up line was advertised for younger generations. I still use it so it won’t go to waste, but I definitely can get a better drugstore lipgloss for cheaper. 

Make-up and skincare are not a one-size-fits-all. I continue to venture through the beauty world and try out new products. Everyone is uniquely different in their own ways; what might work for some people might not work for others. You may love these products, but personally, they didn’t work for me. 

Alyssa Monroy

UC Riverside '24

A cellular, molecular, and developmental biology major and public policy minor that loves science, beauty, and writing.
Deedee Plata

UC Riverside '22

20 year old creative writing major with a love for skincare, representation, and art. When not laying down and watching cartoons, I can be found working on my novel or browsing through baby name forums.