Ask Aiden: Crushes and Hopeless Romantics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Here at HCUCR, we want to help you create the best college experience you can possibly have! Sometimes though, we all need a little advice, but from a MALE’S perspective. Ask Aiden your question(s) here.

“There is this person in my class that I like what should I do?”
-Anonymous 

You should first find a clever or cute way to introduce yourself! The last thing you want to do is come off as a creeper, but that doesn’t mean you have to be afraid of approaching him. I’ve seen people try things from cheesy to slick. ie: sitting near or next to him; ask him a question about a recent HW or assignment; etc. First impressions are important, but the most important thing for you right now is to have him even acknowledge your existence! Maybe throw in a friendly smile when you two make eye contact so he starts thinking. Assuming that everything goes smoothly, from there you can slowly ask him to hangout, grab a small bite (brunch, lunch, lunner, no dinner because that may be too fast too soon. And hopefully things just fall into place from there (:

“Ok sooooo!!!! I have a hugggggeeee crush on my UCR tutor! we are same age I think, but he is sooo nerdy and cute lol that I don’t think he will ever get the nerve to ask me out, so what should I do, I think I I’ll totally scare him if I ask him out.”  
-Hopeless Romantic

Since that person is a UCR tutor, I’m pretty sure that he isn’t technically allowed to date any of the students he tutors. I’m not too sure how the logistics exactly play out, but I would say if you were to do any sort of dating, it would have to be outside of tutoring hours and off-campus. But don’t hold me for that. It’s a matter of professionalism that UCR demands out of its employees. However, don’t be discouraged! Take this time to get to know him; vice-versa. Just understand that he may be a little hesitant, but that doesn’t mean he won’t be interested in you too! As for trying to get past the tutor-student phase, I would recommend that you talk to him outside of tutoring as well (and probably stay away from the topic of whatever he’s tutoring you about so that he can sort of get the hint that you’re interested in getting to know him). It doesn’t hurt to also ask him to grab a small bite or drink (maybe grab a cup of coffee at coffee bean/Starbucks, or grab a bite at a small joint off-campus away from the horde of students). 

Nicole Martinez

UC Riverside

Nicole is a senior at UC Riverside where she is majoring in Media and Culture studies. She co-founded the Her Campus UC Riverside chapter her sophomore year in college. She loves to spend her free time watching The Mindy Project, Girls, Pretty Little Liars, and other shows with leading ladies. She also dabbles on tumblr, instagram (obviwearetheladies), and twitter. Mindy Kailing and Shoshanna are her spirit animals and in the near future she hopes to achieve elite status on Yelp, pursue a career in Public Relations and ultimately conquer the world.