Style > Beauty

A Lazy Girl’s Guide to Sensitive Skincare

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

A good skincare routine is hard to find, especially if you have sensitive skin. My skincare journey started in middle school when I began to struggle with acne. I had absolutely no idea how to take care of my skin as I went from being a young girl who had to do absolutely nothing to have a clear complexion to a middle schooler struggling with constant breakouts. Curating a skincare routine is also challenging if you struggle keeping a routine. I have found that my skincare works best when I am consistent, but it is difficult to maintain a complex skincare routine. Now, at twenty-one, after years of trying different concoctions for my face, from drugstore products to high end skincare, I have finally found the skincare routine that works for me. I still struggle with breakouts, and my skin is far from perfect, but as I have gotten older my skincare routine has become less about having “perfect” skin and more about taking care of my skin no matter how it looks. I hope this article serves as a guide for the girls who want to take care of themselves and their skin without using a ton of products and spending a bunch of money. 

1. Consistency is key

My skin looks best when I complete my skincare routine every single night, no matter what. This may seem obvious, but I know I am not the only college student who gets home, flops into bed, and then realizes they need to wash their face. Worst feeling ever. Although it can seem like a burden to crawl out of bed and take the time to cleanse your face, it is the best thing you can do for yourself and your skin. Your skin will thrive under a consistent skincare routine and it will allow you to see actual results. There have been many times where I expected a facewash to make a difference to my skin after only a week, but in reality that is not enough time. According to the Dermatology and MOHS Surgery Institute, “results [from a skincare product] are best noticed after 28 days of following your routine because this is how long it takes for new skin cells to form.” 

1. Figure out your skin type

Everyone’s skin is different. In order to figure out what products work best for you, you have to know your skin type. I have combination-oily skin, which means my skin is a combination of dry and oily skin, but tends more towards oily. Through trial and error I have found that non-comedogenic products, especially moisturizers, are best for me. These types of products are made especially for those with oily skin because they are not oil based. Conversely, if you have very dry skin, an oil based product could be for you.

My skin is also sensitive and acne prone. This means that I cannot use harsh products on my skin. Unfortunately, most acne products are made with concentrated ingredients of harsh products like salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide. I have found that the best face washes for sensitive skin can have those ingredients, but should be scent-free. I use a product called Panoxyl and I like it because it has a 4% concentration of benzoyl peroxide option and a 10% option. 

1. Skin Care is not just face wash

A good skincare routine is not just washing your face. I personally think one of the most important parts of skin care is a good face wash that cleanses but doesn’t strip your skin, a moisturizer that hydrates but doesn’t clog your pores, and lastly a quality sunscreen that protects your skin from those pesky UV rays. I am currently using Bliss Block Star Daily Sunscreen. I really like this product because it does not smell like sunscreen, and it is tinted so it acts like a concealer as well. I also supplement my skincare routine with a drying lotion for blemishes. 

1. Now for some more recommendations

I have used many different face washes all with varying degrees of success. My favorite right now is Panoxly’s face wash, but I have also used Proactiv, Cerave, and a gentle cleanser from Burt’s Bees. I found that the best way to find an effective face wash is to keep track of the actual ingredients, so that way, you know what works for you. I know benzoyl peroxide works better for me than salicylic acid, and I know I am allergic to niacinamide, which is a very common skincare ingredient, so I try to avoid products that contain it.

Moisturizer is a tricky product. In my experience, moisturizer has always been the thing to either drastically improve my skin or cause me to break out. Right now, moisturizer is the only product I am willing to spend more money on. I just started using Clinique’s Dramatically Different Moisturizer and so far I like the results. A 4.2 oz bottle is $33. I consider this on the mid-to-higher end of the price range. For a cheaper option, I have used Clean and Clear’s Dual Action Moisturizer which is $8.29 for 4 oz. It is a great drug store option. 

When it comes to spending on skincare I say stick with your budget. Skincare products are something you have to buy over and over, so budgeting them into your weekly expenses can help. I would also say that higher end products are not necessarily better. There are tons of great drugstore options out there. 

1. Embrace Trial and Error 

When it comes to skincare, we all want good results and we want them fast. Unfortunately, finding the products and routine that works for you probably won’t happen without a few ups and downs. If a product makes your skin freak out, don’t panic— it’ll go away. One time I changed face washes and it ended up causing a horrible breakout that seemed to last forever, but it went away and wasn’t the end of the world. It will take time to find what works for you. 

Everyone has a different skincare journey. Some people can wash their face with water and be fine, others need a comprehensive routine to help them. Whatever category you find yourself in, just know that the most important thing about skin care is that it is a way to take care of yourself, and if you’ve struggled with your skin, don’t worry, you’re not alone. 

Emily Manus

UC Riverside '25

Emily is a third-year public policy major. She hopes to write about her passions and issues that are important to her as well as the UCR community. Emily's interests include the arts, media, and culture.