Life > Experiences

A brief guide to getting involved in undergraduate research at UC Riverside

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

For some people, going to class and getting involved in clubs is enough of the college experience to feel prepared for the world ahead. For overachievers like myself, you’re in every club you have time for in your schedule and are patiently waiting for the second pass date to open up so you can take even more classes. One thing that doesn’t hurt your resume no matter which of these students you might be is undergraduate research — and it’s easier to get involved in than you might think. Undergrad research usually falls into two broad categories — faculty-led research and independent research. Here are a few of the places on campus that you might want to look for research opportunities for a boost on your resume.

University Honors

This, in my opinion, is the easiest way to get involved in research on campus — the main focus of the Honors program is to facilitate a place for you to invest your time into a two-year-long capstone research project. And I’m not just saying that because I’m an Honors student myself! Your research project can be creative (like a play or a novel), humanities-centered, or science-centered! You locate a faculty mentor in your third year (if you entered as a freshman or sophomore) or your first year (if you enter the program as a transfer student). From there, you get to develop your thesis, create an abstract, conduct research, and eventually get the opportunity to present your work at the Undergraduate Research Symposium.

Individual Study

If you want to get involved in faculty-mentored research but are not part of Honors, 190 classes are a great way to get credit hours for research on your own time. It’s as easy as connecting with a faculty member in your department (or even another department!) whose work you’re interested in, and see if you can work out a connection. According to my friend who is working on an ENGL190 independent study course, this looks like a lot of reading and a lot of concentrating on a subject that is important to you.

Faculty-Led/Graduate Student-Led Research Labs

If group work is more your style, take advantage of the fact that UCR is a research university and see if you can get involved as a research assistant in the lab of a faculty member or a graduate student! You get the benefit of working on research with some camaraderie on the side. This will likely look like having a specific portion of research to conduct or analyze under supervision of the leader of the lab. For more information, dig around in the Undergraduate Research Portal to find an opportunity that most appeals to you.

Ultimately, remember that research is a commitment not just to yourself, but to others. It looks great on a resume, but the experience is only as good as the effort you put into it. And of course, no matter what kind of research you’re interested in getting involved in, make sure that the project centers a subject you feel passionate about — that will make the process so much easier and more rewarding.

Evelyn Homan

UC Riverside '24

Hiya! I'm Evelyn, and I'm a fourth-year English & Creative Writing double major, as well as an Honors student researching independent studying in the 21st century. I love literature, midwest emo and goth rock, alternative fashion, and talking. A lot.