3 Thanksgiving recipes that are sure to make your mouth water

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Thanksgiving is right around the corner; here are the top 5 recipes you should make this season. 

#3 Classic Stuffing 

Ingredients: 1½ sticks of unsalted butter, 10 cups of white bread, 2½ cups of chopped yellow onions, 1½ cups of sliced celery, ½ cup of parsley, 2 tablespoons of fresh sage, 1 tablespoon of fresh rosemary, 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme, 2 tablespoons of salt, 1 teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper, 2½ cups of chicken broth, 2 large eggs 

1. Preheat oven 250°. Butter a baking dish and spread a layer of bread on the bottom. Bake bread until dried out, stirring occasionally. Let cool.
  2. Melt ¾ cup of butter in a large skillet; to the skillet, add onions and celery. Once cooked, add to bowl with dried out bread, herbs, salt, and pepper. Add ¼ cups of broth. Toss all ingredients together. 
  3. Increase temperature of the oven to 350°. Add the remainder of broth and eggs to a small bowl and whisk together. Add mixture to bread mixture, fold gently. Transfer back to baking dish; cover with foil and bake for about 40 minutes, until internal temperature 160°. 
  4. Remove foil and continue to bake for about 40min, until top is golden brown and crispy. 

#2 Baked Mac and Cheese

Ingredients: 8 ounces of uncooked elbow pasta, 2 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese, ½ cup of grated parmesan cheese, 3 cups of milk, ¼ cups of butter, 2½ tablespoons of all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons of butter. ½ cup of breadcrumbs, 1 tablespoon of paprika  

1.  Bring water to a boil seasoning with salt; add all past to water once boiled and cook according to package directions. Once fully cooked, drain water, preserve water. 
  2. In a saucepan, melt butter and stir in flower, making a roux. Add milk to roux and stir till combined. Stir in cheese and cook on medium heat until cheese is completely melted; mix in a bit of pasta water until desired consistency—Mix cheese sauce into macaroni. 
  3. Place half of the macaroni into a baking dish, add cheese on top, follow with mac and cheese, and add the rest of the cheese to the top. 
  4. Melt butter in skillet and brown breadcrumbs—spread breadcrumbs on the top of the pizza. Sprinkle paprika on top.
  5. Bake at  350° for 30 minutes and serve warm. 

#1 Mashed Potatoes 

Ingredients: salt, pepper, 2½ pounds of potatoes (about 6), 4 tablespoons of butter, ½ cups of milk

1. In a large pot, boil 1 gallon of water with a teaspoon of salt. Peel and cut all potatoes and keep in cold water until water boils. Add potatoes to boiling water for about 20min until they are soft to the touch. 
  2. Heat butter and milk together until butter is melted and milk is steaming. Drain potatoes well and add back to pot shaking around hot pan for about a minute. Run potatoes through a ricer and then mash till smooth; in a bowl, mix potatoes with hot butter and milk mixture. Add salt and pepper. 
  3. Serve hot garnished with butter and chopped herbs. 
Senna Omar

UC Riverside '25

Senna is a political science major, who plans on going to law school. Her passions include writing, photography, and journalism and she plans on becoming a political journalist following graduation.