10 Perfect Indie Films for a Valentine’s Day Movie Sesh

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

So you’re single on Valentine’s Day. Don’t worry, a lot of us are. But that doesn’t mean you can’t binge watch love movies while eating overpriced heart-shaped candy and delivery pizza. And let’s be honest, we all secretly love the effortless indulgence of a romance film. Here are a few of my favorites to choose from. I’m an indie film fan if you couldn’t tell from the line up!

1. Drinking Buddies

Jake Johnson, Olivia Wilde and beer, a fantastic combination. These two are playing best buddies who work together while walking that super thin line between lovers and friends. It’s a recent film with great acting from a cast of fresh faces, including Anna Kendrick (love her).

2. Like Crazy

I’m sure a lot of us have seen this one, and it’s more than worth a second viewing in honor of Valentine’s Day. Long distance relationship movies are so frustrating and sad and amazing. A must watch for lovers of love.

3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet make this movie the perfect combination of quirky and cute, but also super tragic and sad. If you’re looking to watch something a little different from the norm but still want to satisfy your need for lovey-dovey, this is your film.

4. Liberal Arts

Elizabeth Olsen is perfect in this role. It’s a great take on relationships with huge age gaps and a new look at the college love story. If anything, you’ll be entice by how much Elizabeth looks like the twins!

5. Vicky Cristina Barcelona

This has got to be one of my favorite Scarlet Johansson performances. Vicky and Cristina travel to Spain for the summer and end up in a love triangle like no other. If you love drama, you’ll love this film.

[pagebreak]

6. Crazy/Beautiful

One of my personal favorites, Crazy/Beautiful takes you back to the early 2000’s. Kirsten Dunst and Jay Hernandez play teenagers who fall in love under some crazy circumstances. This is one of the only films I can watch over and over again, and you’ll love every minute of it.

7. Life is Beautiful

For all you fancy foreign film lovers, this 1990’s Italian love story will definitely pull at your heart strings. Set in 1930’s Italy, Guido is a young Jewish man who falls for Dora, an Italian who is engaged to a government official under the Fascist regime. This film is laugh out loud funny and Kleenex-sad all at the same time. Get your tissues ready, you can’t say I didn’t warn you.

8. Love Jones

This movie highlights the glory of 90’s while taking you on a hot love affair in the big city. Nia Long and Larenz Tate play lovers who find each other at a poetry club. If you like art, jazz or anything remotely sexy, this film will become a fast favorite.

9. Nobody Walks

If you want something a little more dramatic, then go for Nobody Walks. John Krasinski and Olivia Thirlby are a perfect match for this Lena Dunham script. If you’re used to seeing Krasinski play the nice guy, in you’re in for a treat!

10. Before Sunrise

This film is a Valentine’s Day classic. Two young strangers find each other on a train and fall in love while exploring Vienna. How much more romantic can you get?

What are your favorite Valentine’s Day Films? Let us know! We want to watch them all!

Raven Morris

UC Riverside

I'm a 3rd year Media and Cultural Studies major at the University of California, Riverside
UC Riverside

UC Riverside