This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC London chapter.

An Ode To the Women of Ukraine

It has been close to 2 weeks that the people of Ukraine have been facing the unimaginable horrors of war. President Volodymyr Zelenskyi became an idol practically overnight, as he stands as a beacon of light for the free world. Similarly, Ukrainian men aged 18-60, who have been called on to take up arms and defend their country, are receiving praise and prayers from all over the world, and rightfully so. However, there is an integral part of the Ukrainian resistance and strength that is not given nearly enough credit. 

Ukrainian women are standing strong and shaping this war more than anyone else. The need for their roles as mothers, grandmothers, policymakers, caregivers, health professionals, nurturers, supporters, and homemakers within the Ukrainian society is now more evident than ever, in addition to many women taking on new roles as leaders of the resistance and peacemaking process. 

An obvious example is the Ukrainian first lady, Mrs. Olena Zelenska. The saying “behind every great man, there is a great woman” is familiar to us, and Mrs. Zelenska is a shining example. While President Zelenskyi deserves all the credit he is given, it is important to remember that he would not be capable of being the man he is, of making the decisions he makes, without the guidance and support of his wife. She supported him in his acting career for more than 20 years as well as during his presidential candidacy. Before Zelenskyi was the champion of liberalism he is today, he was severely criticized within Ukrainian society as well as in the international sphere, mainly for his lack of a politically-oriented career pre-presidency. It is more than likely that his wife was often his main ally in a world of adversaries. Mrs. Olena is also the president’s main advisor, one that advises him on any and all challenges he faces – the war being no exception. In addition, Mrs Zelenska is a mother to two of their children. Acknowledging this fact, it is even more astounding that she has decided to remain in the dangerous Kyiv as a gesture of support to both – her husband, and the many Ukrainian women and mothers who for one reason or another cannot leave. I believe it is appropriate to say that the heroism and bravery of president Zelenskyi should be equally attributed to his wife, Mrs. Olena.

Another example of strength among Ukrainian women is Valentyna Kostyantynovska. A lovely older lady, who has only now, at 79 years old, learned to hold and operate a kalashnikov. Her story has become viral on the internet, as she cited her pure desire to protect her homeland and freedom as her drivers in this endeavor. 

A  sort of different war, a war of information is one that LSE student Ulyana Moruzhko-Koresta is fighting. In addition to having to watch the assault on the country from a distance, not being able to help physically, Ulyana takes on the extremely important role of speaking out in the name of the Ukrainian people here, to her fellow students in London. Her strength and authenticity are leaving many who have no personal connection to the war, speechless and in tears. Spreading the truth about the atrocities happening in Ukraine in the face of Russian propaganda is just as important of a battle as the one happening on the ground.

These are just some examples of the stunning strength of Ukrainian women. Our acknowledgement and respect also belongs to all those women whose names we do not know because they are not famous, or have not gone viral. These are all the women who have brought up men who value the principles of life, freedom and dignity, as their mothers and grandmothers. Those who acted as voices of compassion and promoters of a better future in their social circles as sisters, politicians, friends, teachers, carers, nurses, doctors, firefighters and so much more. As well as all the women who have gone to the front lines to care for the wounded or to fight themselves. Equally, all the women who have had to act swiftly and make the unimaginable sacrifice of  and leap into the unknown by uprooting their families to bring them to safety. 

An especially important role of women will be in restoring Ukrainian democracy and society in general post conflict. Ukraine has been giving women opportunities and support, which can be seen in the vast amount of professions they hold within the society, including politics. It will be these female policymakers as well as all the other Ukrainian women who will be instrumental in building and keeping a sustainable and strong democratic Ukraine – a prospect the aggressor does not have.

I thank the women who make Ukraine strong, and in turn make our global society strong as well.

Lastly, I would like to bring attention to the fact that in my language, Slovak, as well as in Ukrainian, Ukraine is gendered. And it is no coincidence that the country’s gender is female. Ukraine will prevail, just as women have throughout this war and throughout human history. #SlavaUkraine

Tereza is a student in IMESS, with a focus on international political economy. She has written for various publications, has her own blog (@sustainwithterez) and regularly contributes to Vegconomist. She is passionate about sustainability, human righty, identity politics and finance. Her hobbies include reading and spending time with her rescue dachshund Muffin.