This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC London chapter.

Singer, songwriter, icon – some of the many words used to describe Lizzo, the body positive popstar and now this month’s American Vogue cover star. Lizzo is the pinnacle of grace and beauty on the cover, elegant and poised in a billowing crimson Valentino dress. She truly is a queen with no need of a crown. Featuring on the cover of Vogue is a highly coveted honour, enjoyed by the likes of Twiggy, Cindy Crawford, Gisele Bundchen and Kim Kardashian West, to name just a few. Now, it’s Lizzo’s turn, a testament to changing beauty standards and the cresting wave of acceptance and positivity spreading throughout the fashion, beauty and entertainment industries- a welcome (and long overdue) change. Lizzo speaks volumes to the black female experience, including several lessons in tolerance, acceptance and positivity,  messages the whole world can share in.

In conversation with Claudia Rankine- acclaimed poet and author of Citizen: An American Lyric- Lizzo discusses issues such as hope, justice, racism and US politics in candid conversation, illustrating that beauty is far from skin deep and that her voice is more than just song lyrics. Lizzo is the archetypal modern woman: Independent, assured and unwilling to be contained by outdated societal and social limitations (she is, you could say, “100% that bitch”). Her message on body positivity is an important one. For too long women have been constrained by outmoded expectations of what beauty should look like. The fashion industry in particular has fallen victim to this. The fascination of the early 90’s with angular bones, pale skin and dark circles under the eyes, dubbed “Heroine Chic”, epitomises this. Here, we witness an incredibly influential industry glamorising the detrimental effects of drug abuse for the sake of an aesthetic. Here, we witness a prime case of physical and mental health being passed over in the name of so-called beauty. Lizzo stands in opposition to this. Her song lyrics capture the essence of the body positivity movement, with inspiring statements such as “That’s the goddess in me” and “Thick thighs save lives”. An immensely important message, Lizzo addresses women of all shapes and sizes in her songs, encouraging and empowering them to see the beauty reflected back in a mirror. 

In October 2020, we find ourselves in Black History Month, a month dedicated to celebrating, supporting and recognising important people and events in the history of the African diaspora. Lizzo has frequently spoken out in support of the Black Lives Matter Movement, stating that “Protest is not the end of progress, it is the beginning” (Instagram). Despite her infallible optimism, Lizzo admits she feels “brokenhearted” by the state of race relations in America, experiencing from a young age the harsh race-related injustices systemically embedded in the African-American experience. Lizzo has been burdened by division and inequality, yet, she has not allowed this to stop her from exceeding. Rankine remarks on the diversity of her audience, with fans from seemingly all backgrounds, communities and beliefs. Despite being told by music industry executives early in her career that “You can’t go white to black. But you can go from black to white.”, Lizzo responded “Well, I’m a black woman. So I can do just about anything I want to do.”. Never one to be told her limitations, Lizzo refused to accept the binaries of musical appeal, setting out to unite the world under a banner of shared love and acceptance. 

To conclude her interview, Lizzo offers one last piece of inspirational wisdom, acknowledging that with her new found self belief, she will continue to push important conversations “by being a better me every single day.”. This message of constant growth and progress is paramount. Acknowledging that life is not stationary helps us to see that changes can occur if we ourselves commit to upholding our beliefs in all aspects of our lives. This promise that things will continue to evolve – that wrongs and injustices can and will be set right one day – speaks to Lizzo’s listeners, giving them the strength and encouragement to trust in themselves, take the leap and stand up for what they believe in. A true inspiration for us all, Lizzo’s message of acceptance, love and, most importantly, hope is as compelling as it is catchy. Standing resplendent in Moschino, Gucci and LaQuan Smith, Lizzo appears to be the beating heart of the new entertainment industry. Her voice of hope stares down the face of adversity and takes a stand against injustice, and American Vogue has helped turn up the volume – words as precious and illuminating as Tiffany’s diamonds.   

I study Comparative Literature with Spanish at University College London. In my spare time I enjoy reading, playing sports and exploring London.
Amal Malik

UC London '22

President and Editor in Chief for Her Campus UC London. Student of BA Comparative Literature. From ??/ ??