This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC London chapter.

School to College: I look at it as a rite of passage. For most of us it means entering a phase of life which is juxtaposed and not at the same time. You have the liberties of being an adult, making your own decisions. This comes with the harsh reality of bearing all the consequences of your actions.

College is a step towards the bigger goal right? If you have a plan, great! I feel that we should allow ourselves the space to accept change in interests and goals. If they do change, it’s fine. It’s probably for the best. Or you might be the person who is still contemplating what to do. Even that works! Find yourself. After all your experiences make you who you Are.

Whichever category you belong to, let us promise ourselves to take up all the experiences college has to offer. At least I know I want to! As clichéd as it might sound, I don’t want to look back and regret something I did not do. I know I am going to feel apprehensive but I do not want to be a person who has lived long without actually living. You get it right? That said I do not want the essence of my personality to take a round-about turn. I want to be the same girl who is quirky sometimes, but reserved at the other, who cries when her favourite character in a novel dies, who can find fulfillment in a tub of mint and chocolate ice cream, who sacrifices for her loved ones but mostly who loves making other people Laugh.

I still want to be the person my parents raised but with more confidence and tolerance. I know I am going to be home sick but that’s life: win some loose some but I want to go out there. I want to learn to my heart’s content. I want to have those sleepless nights and frantic coffee runs. I want to handle my own expenses and struggle to remain on a budget in London. I want to party so much that my memory from the night is blurred (oops!). I want to meet people who I like spending time with. I want to have all of these but I know I can take it at my own pace.

Our go to mantra should be ‘in Omnia Paratus’: ready for all things. Do all these things as I feel comfortable. I want to enjoy my college experience. Make it a memorable one! All said and done, a freshman will obviously feel out of place and uncomfortable, but to start with college is not supposed to be a bed of roses. Give yourself time but hang in there! Talk to people if you feel distressed. Be patient and wait but when you feel the correct opportunity presents itself, pounce. Mostly be there for yourself. We owe it ourselves.   

Nishtha Saraf

UC London '24

I am studying History with a year abroad at University College London. I am a foodie who likes travelling, reading, playing soccer and watching Formula 1.
Amal Malik

UC London '22

President and Editor in Chief for Her Campus UC London. Student of BA Comparative Literature. From ??/ ??