Life > Experiences

HOW TO MAKE THE MOST OF LONDON THIS WINTER

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC London chapter.

Life can be difficult as a student, particularly if you are in a new city. Assignments, exams and deadlines are just a few of the things that have been stressful during term time. However, finding ways to appreciate the beauty of London during the Holidays is an effective way to relax and appreciate the city. So, if you are new to London and want to get the full winter experience, keep reading to find an activity that interests you. 

Screenshot 2023 12 05 at 11.44.03

Try out ice skating! 

Whether you are a beginner or a professional, ice skating is a great way to embrace the Holiday atmosphere. Many of the ice rinks in London are beautifully decorated, with intricately decorated Christmas trees in the middle of the icerinks and Christmas lights which create an uplifting ambience. To make the most of the experience, it is recommended to go in the evenings when the Christmas lights are turned on. Some of the places which have the most aesthetic ice rinks are in central London: Winter Wonderland, Westfield White City and The Tower of London.

Go for an evening tour of Oxford Street!

Now that the Christmas lights have been turned on, Oxford Street now provides a dual experience of shopping and sightseeing. Every day until the 5th of January, the lights will be turned on from 15:00-23:00. These festive lights and decorations adorn the buildings and are attached to parallel buildings, blanketing the street and transforming this place into an enchanting setting. So why not take a walk in the evening (or late afternoon  now that the days are shorter!) and experience the magic? The best part of this activity is that it is free (unless you choose to do some Christmas shopping), which makes it accessible for all students. 

Visit Winter Wonderland

Located in Hyde Park, Winter Wonderland is an annual event which takes place from 17th November- 1st January, and it is open everyday from 10 am to 10 pm. It is a very popular activity amongst Londoners as there are fun rides and games available for everyone to participate, Christmas shows, festive food and drinks and attractions such as a magical ice Kingdom and Santa’s grotto. Tickets are available to book online, and the prices of entry tickets range from £0.00-£7.50, depending on whether you wish to go during off-peak or peak hours. 

Tickets are available to book directly on the website: https://winterwonderland.seetickets.com/winterwonderland?ajs_aid=cb060dbc-6815-4bbf-b1d2-2290addf3031&_ga=2.150406197.2048126312.1701624187-81344520.1701442450

Hit up Christmas Markets!

This activity is best suited for those who wish to do some last-minute Christmas shopping or simply wish to browse the market stalls. The most popular ones to visit are Spitalfields markets, Covent Garden, Southbank and Trafalgar Square. These urban locations have been transformed into a traditional and yuletide setting, encapsulating the true holiday spirit. A few examples of traditional things sold in these Christmas markets include foods such as mouth-watering hot chocolate (adding marshmallows and whipped creme elevate this drink), beautiful Christmas ornaments and decorations that you can use to decorate your own Christmas tree or room and hand-crafted gifts which you can gift to your friends and family. 

Although this is not an exhaustive list of activities to do in London this winter, these are some of the most popular amongst Londoners, and with the days becoming shorter, they provide more light (quite literally) into the darker days. Happy Holidays! 

Tatiana Gomes

UC London '26

Tatiana Gomes is a Her Campus writer/editor. She is an avid reader, who is currently studying English Language and Literature at UCL. Although she writes for a range of topics, her interests reside in style and wellness.