This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Have you ever considered how cosmetic brands test on animals? Have you ever imagined how animals go through pain and suffering as they are tested on? “No animal should be treated so maliciously. This is why it is important to support cruelty free cosmetic brands.”This article will give you a brief glimpse of why you should go cruelty-free and how you can support it. 

What is animal testing?

Animal testing is a scientific experiment where animals (i.e., rabbits, mice, dogs, monkeys… etc.) are tested to see the safety of certain products. 

In the cosmetic field, animal testing is still the dominant method to check the safety of products. Countless cosmetic brands still test on animals if required, including: Chanel, Dior, Yves Saint Laurent, Bobbi Brown, and more. 

In the cosmetic industry, these tests often experiment on animals:

Skin and Irritation Test: pouring cosmetic chemicals into animals’ eyes and shaving animals’ furs, and rubbing chemicals into their exposed skins.

Dose Test: Forcefully pour chemicals down animals’ throats to determine the lethal dose.

Usually, animals are killed and dissected after tests. 

Where is animal testing taking place? 

We live in 2022, yet animal testing is still taking place, out of sight. 

Although the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) does not require cosmetic products to experiment on animals and the European Union (EU) and several other countries have banned the animal testing, some cosmetic companies still test on animals to assess the safety of products even though it is unnecessary and there are great alternatives. 

In fact, China, the leading global market, has retained animal testing until now, which is another reason why some companies still conduct animal testing. According to the Humane Society, China permitted Chinese companies manufacturing the “ordinary products” to be sold without animal testing while still requiring the testing for imported products. In 2021, the Chinese government made it feasible for the imported “ordinary products” to enter the market without animal testing. Yet, this new regulation does not apply to the “special use” cosmetics such as sunscreen and hair dye. That said, animal testing is still happening in China, and companies that import their “special products” into China accept their products to be tested on animals. 

Are there alternatives to animal testing?

Yes, there are. Cheaper and more efficient alternatives exist. 

These alternatives include: 

• Computer simulation
  • Stem cells
  • Biochips 
  • 3D images
  • Artificial skin

These methods are often more effective and cost less than animal testing. 

Moreover, even in 2007, the National Academy of Science issued that a vitro testing should replace animal testing to experiment with a more significant number of cosmetic chemicals for cheaper, more efficient way and get more trusted better data. Since then, the U.S Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), FDA, and the National Academy of Science have launched a program called “Tox21”, which utilizes advanced technology to screen chemical toxicity without animal testing. 

Just seeing how the scientific field has been implementing new and more effective methods shows how outdated some countries and cosmetic companies are for still testing on animals. 

Animal testing does not guarantee the safety of products. For example, have you ever experienced terrible reactions after using some skincare or makeup products even though they are “tested on animals”? 

How can we support it?

There are many ways you can support banning animal testing. You can join Humane Society and Cruelty-Free International organizations to donate and actively participate in campaigns. You can also talk to your family and friends to spread awareness. 

When you are buying cosmetic products, make sure to choose ones that are 100 % cruelty-free and boycott the ones that are not. (100% cruelty-free means that products are not sold in China and other countries that require testing, and are not owned by a parent company that tests on animals, such as: L’oreal, Shiseido, the Estee Lauder,etc.)

By boycotting those brands, we can pressure those brands that still insist on testing animals. As their sales go down, they will question their unethical practices. Luxury brands are no exception as well. 

Here is a brief list of my favorite 100% cruelty-free cosmetic brands: 

Aesop

Anastasia Beverly Hills

Dear, Klairs

Derma E

Fenty Beauty

And there are many others!

However, it is always important to search whether a particular brand is cruelty-free or not. Some brands claim that they are cruelty-free, but often they are in gray areas. 

Also, I strongly recommend watching “Save Ralph,” an award-winning, short stop-motion animation that documents a story of a “tested” rabbit.

Conclusion

Companies selling their products in countries that require animal testing by law are just the epitomes of greed-driven capitalism, where money is essential more than life. Unfortunately, cruelty-free awareness is not still widespread, especially in Asia, and it is on us to spread awareness. It is always important to ask us: do we need harmful sacrifices for us to be pretty? Imagine that your Chanel perfumes or Yves Saint Laurent lipstick were created out of the cruel sacrifices of innocent animals. Would you still choose to buy it? 

Ranko Honda

UC Irvine '23

Hi, I’m an art history student at UCI My interests are cruelty free beauty products, art, fashion, and travel ;)