tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why So Many Adults Love ‘Craig of the Creek’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

I feel that most of us grew up with morning cartoons, from the channel of your preference. For me, it was Scooby Doo every morning before morning swim classes, where I would watch the gang drive around in the Mystery Machine catching, yet again, another victim of capitalism committing crimes in the guise of a ghastly ghoul. That was then, and now you are an adult. You watch more mature shows with actors, instead of drawings, and leave all the new cartoons to the next generation. 

But a certain cartoon seems to have gathered an adult fanbase, which is not entirely new of course, since cartoons are definitely capable of intense storytelling for all ages. However, I believe this cartoon specifically deserves a lot of praise. 

Craig of the Creek was created by Matt Burnett and Ben Levin and started airing in 2018. The main character is the titular Craig Williams, a 10-year-old boy who loves playing in the creek, where he and many other children go on adventures. A very simple premise, but the show is incredibly warm and wholesome. Many adults claim that this show makes them feel like a kid again, and in a sense, heals their inner child. It is definitely charming with its emphasis on freedom, imagination, and roleplaying, which makes many of us want to play in our own neighborhoods as knights, wizards, or monsters. Not to mention the great representation of many communities represented in its characters. The main character is African American, and he and his family have been praised by African American viewers for the show’s realistic and kind representation. Not to mention, there are children from all over the world having their own adventures, and even teaching other children about their own culture. There are also LGBTQIA+ characters and characters with disabilities playing huge roles within the story. 

This show excites me in how much love and care goes into each aspect of it. I share the opinion of many when I say that I am glad that so many children will be able to grow up with this show. Being able to see yourself within the media you consume is so crucial in developing your identity and confidence within yourself. I definitely felt isolated in my childhood when none of the characters from the media I loved looked anything like me. I hope that more shows will embrace the necessity of representation so more of our younger generation can grow up to be proud and educated about the world and themselves.

Ellie Tachibana

UC Irvine '24

3rd Year English Major that likes to read, draw, and analyze animated media.