tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Everyone knows what Valentine’s Day is right? A day to exchange cards, candy, gifts or flowers with their special “someone” or “valentine”. But did you know that there was also Galentine’s Day? Maybe you’ve heard about it before, but let me let you in on what this holiday is all about. Galentine’s day happens the day before Valentine’s Day on February 13th and it’s like a Valentine’s Day-eve. This term became an official annual holiday through a fictional show called Parks and Recreation. Amy Poehler who played the character of Leslie Knope on this show created a day where her and her lady friends leave their husbands and boyfriends at home, and go out and celebrate. Instead of celebrating and enjoying this special day with your special someone, you do it with a bunch of your best girl friends.

This annual holiday is the perfect chance to get your best gals together and hang out. It doesn’t have to be a romantic or special celebration but instead, you can do whatever you like and go wherever you want with your best friends. It allows for special bonding time, creating new memories and at the same, talking about how much you adore one another. Galentine’s day is perfect for all the girls out there who are not in a relationship because Valentine’s Day makes a lot of people feel miserable. With Galentine’s Day, everything that you want to say or do can be accomplished because your best girlfriends are there to share these experiences with you. With this, everyone is happy and content with having at least a holiday in which all can celebrate whether it be on Galentine’s Day or on Valentine’s Day.

(image source)