A Valentine’s Day Movie List: 4 Movies That Will Make Up For A Lonely Night

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Valentine’s Day is coming up, and though this holiday is one of the sweetest holidays of the year, it is also one of the most dreaded days of the year for single people. As you watch your friends eagerly wait for a romantic night with their lovers, you start to have problems on deciding your plans for the night. What’s the best solution? A movie night, of course! I have come up with a few movies that will make the single ladies out there feeling entertained and loved throughout the whole night.

1. The Notebook

There is nothing better than spending Valentine’s night with the most classic Nicholas Sparks chick flick. Starring the handsome and charismatic Ryan Gosling and the beautiful and Rachel McAdams, this movie will ride you through an emotional roller coaster. It will make you cry, angry, happy, and fall in love with Noah Calhoun over and over again. Set in the 1940’s, two young people, who come from two very different worlds, are drawn together by fate at a local carnival. Drama and hardships prevent them from being together, but their love for each other grows even more. This movie teaches you that true love will prevail, and that Ryan Gosling is one sexy man. All you need is a box of tissues, a tub of your favorite ice cream, and you are good to go!

1. Eat, Pray, Love

I recently watched Eat, Pray, Love and I highly recommend anyone looking for some inspiration to watch this movie. In this novel turned film, portrays Elizabeth Gilbert (Julia Roberts), a woman who seems to have it all – a husband, money, a career, you name it. However she is unable to find happiness in things that she has. Gilbert divorces her husband, and then travels to three countries in search for answers, happiness, and knowledge of herself. She escapes to Italy, where she finds pleasure and enjoyment in life through eating. She then travels to India, where she finds peace and serenity through prayer. And lastly, she journeys to Indonesia where she finds balance of both and happiness through love. This movie encourages the importance of independence and spirituality. Elizabeth embodies qualities that single ladies should take to heart!

1. He’s Just Not That Into You

This romantic comedy is also a perfect for Valentine’s Day! The movie revolves around the romantic lives of nine people who face the everyday struggles of relationships. Gigi (Ginnifer Goodwin) who is the central character to the plot is like any typical girl. She misinterprets the gestures of the men around her which results in her failing love life. However, with the help of her wing man Alex (Justin Long), she is opened to what men look for and what men want. This duo builds a hilarious love and hate relationship which results in a surprising ending. He’s Just Not That Into You, touches upon every aspect of love and relationships that are common in our society. We can definitely learn a lesson or two from this movie!

1. 50 First Dates

Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore create this wonderful tale of a man so madly in love with an amnesiac, Lucy (Barrymore). Lucy, however, has a short-term memory and is unable to remember the things that Henry does for her. Every day is like meeting him for the first time. And every day Henry continues to pursue her with love. This movie really proves that men can be romantic too, and that we need a man who would love us till the very end. This is a perfect movie, filled with the perfect amount of comedy and romance.

Though there are countless movies that are good to watch on a lonely Valentine’s Day, these are a few that really help lift my spirits and make me feel less “forever alone”. Being single is not bad, but it’s definitely a learning experience. If we wait patiently enough, who knows, our Prince Charming will come, and sweep us off our feet!  

Grace Bae

UC Irvine

...