UCI’s Hannahlei Cabanilla is Crowned ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ Season 15 Winner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

The 18-year-old snags the winning title!

Our very own Anteater, Hannahlei Cabanilla, has been crowned America’s Favorite Dancer on Fox’s ‘So You Think You Can Dance’. Cabanilla has been battling it out for weeks, competing against some of America’s most talented male and female dancers. She has danced her heart out every Monday night, and not only the judges, but America could see her brilliant talent.

PC: Hannahlei Cabanilla

Since the age of two, Hannahlei has been dancing and capturing the attention of teachers and scouts everywhere. Growing up she trained extensively with OCPAA, The Orange County Performing Arts Academy, and now is a dance instructor on their faculty team. At Canyon High School, she shined and represented her Comanches on the Song team. Now at UCI, she continues her journey as a Dance major proudly representing our school.

PC: Hannahlei Cabanilla

After winning ‘So You Think You Can Dance’, Cabanilla appeared bright and early on ‘Live with Kelly and Ryan’ to be interviewed on her experiences on the dance competition show. Kelly Ripa announced to the audience that Cabanilla has won $250,000 in prize money. She then proceeded to ask Hannahlei what she will do with her winnings. In response, Cabanilla tells her, “I’m gonna take my parents on a trip…(because) they have been supporting me since I was two years old!” Both she and her parents deserve to take a trip after these intense last few weeks, not to mention the lifetime of extreme dancing

PC: Dance Informa​

The 18-year-old star will continue to shine on the stage as she dances on ‘So You Think You Can Dance Live 2018’ Tour. She, alongside the top ten contestants of the show, will be traveling and performing across the country- very, very exciting! You can get your tickets here to see Hanalei live in action.

From all of us Anteaters, we are incredibly proud of you Hannahlei!​

PC:Hannahlei Cabanilla

Christine Catlett is a sophmore studying Literary Journalism and Art History at the University of California, Irvine. She spends most of her time creating content for both Her Campus and UCI's magazine publication. When she isn't writing away she loves to be out in the Pacific Ocean body surfing or in the kitchen cooking her favorite food, Mexican guac bowls. You can find her almost any weekend at a local museum like LACMA. Her future dream job is to work either as an Editor-in Chief of a magazine like Elle or Vogue, or to run a museum in California.
Christine Chen

UC Irvine '19

Christine is one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at UC Irvine. In her free time, she enjoys reading books, listening to business tech podcasts, running, and making people smile! :)