Style > Beauty

True Beauty and Brains: Natalie Pack is crowned Miss California

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Natalie Pack, third year at UCI and biology/pre med student, was crowned Miss California on January 8 at McCallum Theatre in Palm Desert. I recently had the privilege to speak with Pack about her huge win, modeling career and medical career aspirations. From the interview, I easily saw how the judges crowned Pack as Miss California—her inner and outer beauty shines through with her concise answers, obvious beautiful looks, high aspirations, and sweet personality. When asked what made her different from the other contestants, she answered with a response of “freshness” and “staying true to herself.” Her reasoning for these answers were that she stays away from the girly world of the traditional big hair, lots of makeup, and smiling constantly for the camera. By staying true to herself, she is not afraid to show her flaws in the perfection pageant world as Pack adds, “flaws are what you relatable.”

Miss California was Pack’s first pageant. The pageant took place during the weekend of January 6-8 with 400 other girls competing, which is the biggest number of girls competing in 62 years. It was a weekend full of 12-hour dance rehearsals, preparation, and interviews. During this 72-hour weekend, Pack mentioned that she only got approximately 6 hours of sleep for the weekend. Even though the weekend had its chaotic moments, Pack enjoyed meeting the other amazing girls and forming strong friendships. Although she formed many friendships, she faced the challenge of competing against girls who have been in pageants before. Her other challenge was “executing beauty and confidence.” Since Pack is a self-described “tomboy,” she faced the challenge of acting more girly. But Pack decided to participate in the pageant for this reason of discovering her feminine side. But she mentioned that the pageant is the ultimate girly system in the world and it was good for her to be part of this world for the weekend. “What does a beauty queen embody?” Pack asked herself, then answered with “looks, intelligence, self-esteem—all the qualities I want in myself.”

Pack’s pageant sash read as “Miss Hoag Hospital,” rather than the writings of her hometown, Palos Verdes. For Miss California, contestants have the options of representing landmarks rather than the traditional city. She chose to represent Hoag Hospital, as she volunteered and interned in the labor and delivery department. In addition, she mentioned that it is an “amazing hospital.”

Since she won Miss California, she will compete in Miss USA in June. Pack will compete against the other state winners to win the title of Miss USA. To prepare, Pack has a team of experts, such as a personal trainer, gown designer, nutritionist, and dermatologist. Nevertheless, it is up to her to utilize them right to win the crown. She admits it will be hard work but hopefully it will pay off.
Besides winning Miss California, Pack has participated in cycle 12 of America’s Next Top Model and made it the final six girls. For fans of the show, they may remember her as the girl who did not receive a makeover because Tyra Banks believed her overall look was model-like. She did not win the cycle, but she still does modeling and is signed with LA Models. She still does modeling when she has the time but school remains her number one priority.

For fans of the show, they might know that the judges on the show do not like pageant girls. Pack does admit that is 180 degrees different. In modeling, one has to express different emotions while in pageants; it is about beauty and grace. However, Pack was able to incorporate her runway walk to her pageant walk. To make it different, she amped it up in personality and fun which made it a perfect combination of modeling and pageant.

As a successful model and now Miss California, Pack shared some more inspirational words about the world of modeling and pageants. “My advice is to love yourself. You have to have thick skin and be comfortable in your own skin.” With that being said, Pack is sure on her way to even more success. Whether, it be studying for the MCATS and applying to medical school, modeling or preparing for Miss USA, Pack’s positive attitude and stunning looks makes her well on the way to success. To top it all off, she is also on the Dean’s Honor List at UCI. Now that’s a role model to look up to.

Resham is a senior at the University of California, Irvine, with a major in International Studies and a minor in Cognitive Psychology. She is currently a proud member and Editor of Kappa Alpha Theta as well as Assistant Communications Officer of Panhellenic Association. Resham was born and raised in Los Angeles, CA and now enjoys living in luxurious Orange County, CA while she goes to school. She loves to travel, go to the beach on sunny California days, and search for the best restaurants in town.