uci water tower
uci water tower
Original photo by Cindy Gonzalez
Life > Experiences

The Unofficial UCI Bucket List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

I’m graduating from UCI this spring, in June 2022, and I’ve spent all four years as an Anteater. Not counting that one ‘gap’ year from the pandemic, I’ve spent pretty much all of my time on campus, in classes, or at work, so I feel pretty qualified to identify the traits of the true Anteaters among us. So below, you’ll find a list of activities to complete before your time is up on the Irvine campus that will truly solidify your Anteater status. 

Buy Boba

$2 Boba on Ring Road isn’t as common post-pandemic, but it’s still a necessity for Anteaters campus-wide. If you can’t find a club or a vendor on campus selling it, head over to UTC to check out Cha For Tea and ShareTea. If you’re looking for some place off-campus, Sunright at Diamond Jamboree or Omomo at Alton Square are the places to go. Warning: lines at Omomo get long if you arrive later in the afternoon. 

Go to a Petr Drop

Petr drops started during my freshman year (‘18-’19), and they have become a cultural mainstay for the campus. Petr stickers are stickers of a derpy version of our mascot, Peter the Anteater. They come in tons of designs and themes, with each ‘drop’ happening on a specific date and time. The location of each Petr drop is usually announced at the time of the drop, but if you suddenly see a crowd sprinting through Aldrich Park, you could safely bet it’s for a sticker. 

Visit the UCI Tunnels 

This is a bit more of a niche experience at UCI, but something I think is ubiquitous, especially if you live in Mesa Court.  The tunnels are best explored after sundown with friends, but are not for the faint of heart or for those uncomfortable in small spaces.  Bring some flashlights, and a portable charger for your phone, because the deeper you go, the less you’ll be able to see. Also, definitely wear shoes you’re comfortable getting dirty. If you don’t want to explore deeper into the tunnels, there are plenty of spray-painted murals towards the front that are  great for grungy photos. 

Have a Late Night Study Sesh at Gateway 

Gateway study center, located across from Langson Library, stays open the latest out of all the on-campus libraries. While both the Langson and Science library open at 8 am and close at 11 pm, Gateway stays open until 3 am. With multiple reservable study rooms and a large space filled with row upon row of desks, it’s a perfect place to go if you’re pulling an all-nighter and need to get out of the house. (For the record, I would not recommend pulling an all-nighter and studying until 3 am, it never feels good). 

Struggle in Math 2B 

As the most failed class on campus, struggling in Math 2B is a rite of passage. If calculus isn’t a major requirement for you, consider yourself lucky. College calculus classes are brutal, but it’s a bit like trial by fire. If you can get through Math 2B, you can get through anything

Attend a Campus Concert

UCI (and specifically ASUCI) offers multiple campus concerts throughout the year, not to mention the musical performances from our multitude of acapella groups. These concerts are super fun and tend to follow musical themes, with Aldrich Park After Dark having more EDM vibes and Summerlands having more pop music. Most (if not all) of the concerts are free to students and feature legitimate artists, including Rico Nasty, Masego, Bad Suns, and more. 

Nap in Aldrich Park

Spring quarter is definitely the best time for this, but the early fall quarter works too. Aldrich Park is almost always riddled with folks napping on picnic blankets or snoozing in hammocks. On a warm spring/summer day, who wouldn’t want to nap outside? However, even though we have a relatively safe campus in the safest town in America, I would recommend doing this with friends as you are technically sleeping in public. 

Finish an Anime 

UCI is an Anime-loving school. No ifs, and, or buts about it. I’ve joked for all four years that liking anime is basically an admissions requirement, and it’s impossible for you to not be exposed to new anime series during your time here. Therefore, I believe that finishing an anime series (meaning watching all available episodes) is a uniquely Irvine experience. I’m not advocating that you start watching One Piece because you’ll never finish it, but animes like One Punch Man and Parasyte can be fun, quick watches, and a way to integrate into the anime culture. 

Get Seaside Donuts Late At Night

Seaside Donuts is an iconic Newport staple. They’re a small donut shop located on the beach, with affordable prices and open 24 hours. They’re a mainstay for celebrating the end of finals and midterms and generally make for a fun late-night snack. Bonus points if you take your donuts/drinks/sandwiches onto the beach for eating. 

Correct/Teach Someone How to do the Anteater Hand Sign

This one speaks for itself. Once you’re correcting people or teaching them how to properly do the Anteater hand sign, you’re an Anteater! 

I.M. Curtis

UC Irvine '22

I.M. Curtis is a 4th-year Business Administration major with a minor in Literary Journalism. When not in class or working at one of her many jobs, she enjoys reading, writing, dancing, bingeing TV shows, and planning trips to far off places she may or may not ever actually visit.