Study hungry?—The Best and Worst of Student Center Dining

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Once students make their way out of their freshman year dormitories in Middle Earth and Mesa, the comfort of their beloved dining commons are long gone. Those days of pesto grilled cheese and perhaps the best corn chowder known to man are now replaced with ramen and Easy Mac, or even worse…actual cooking.

But Collegiates™, don’t fret!
We know those hours on campus can be long and strenuous. More often than not, you’ll find yourself hungry but completely unable to take a shuttle run back to your apartment for a quick bite or make that walk over to Lee’s for those bahn mi’s. Most Anteater’s don’t realize that there are plenty of affordable, and more importantly, healthy options right around the corner, wherever you may be.

Let HerCampus™ help you decide your next campus meal! After a bit of research, and nagging campus employees, we’ve chosen for you the healthiest….and the not so healthy choices our campus has to offer.

Located in the Student Center is a food court unknown to some. It’s slightly hidden location makes it a little difficult for those of us to track down especially when shuttle pick-ups lie a little out of way. This particular food court has many novelty fast food names such as Wendy’s and Panda Express to suit whatever you’re craving.

The Best:
Panda Express Broccoli Beef with mixed veggies or white rice.
Total calories: 165 and 510 respectively
First of all, most don’t realize that what side you choose has major consequences. Picking their chow mein over white rice adds over a hundred calories to your meal. As if that weren’t hard enough, Panda is known for having an array of different entrée’s from cult classic Orange Chicken to it’s fairly new Beijing Beef, so choosing the right entrée can be a little difficult. For those of you looking to scrape off the calories as best as you can without sacrificing your taste buds, family favorite Broccoli Beef comes in at 130 calories. If you’re not feeling beef, you can also try Mushroom Chicken (220 cal.) or String Bean Chicken (170 cal.)

The Worst:
Wahoo’s Kahlua Pig Bowl
Total Calories: 1025
Known mostly for fish tacos, Wahoo’s on campus provides students craving Mexican food. But it’s most alarming entrée, the Kalua Pig Bowl, is an entrée we recommend you skip. At an astonishing 1025 calories, this plate of beans, rice, spiced pork and a side of veggie’s is a full blown meal for a hungry student, but it’s unfortunately almost half of your daily recommended calorie intake (roughly 2000+ depending on your personal weight and preference).
If you’re really craving some Wahoo’s during your lunch break, opt for their Banzai Veggie Salad (297 cal.) or any of their shrimp entrees; shrimp prove to be a lot healthier than it’s carne asada and grilled chicken counterparts.

If you’re looking for something a little lighter, Quizno’s and Wendy’s offer students sandwiches and small meals at amazing prices, not to mention dollar Jr. Frosties. But if you’re thinking in terms of health and wellness, check out these entrees—

The Best
Quizno’s Honey Bourbon Chicken Sandwich (Small)
Total Calories: 320
A surprising find, Quizno’s Honey Bourbon Chicken is perhaps the best choice to make for those of us calculating calorie intake. One would think turkey breast or maybe plain sandwich meat would be the best choice, however this sandwich, loaded with tomatoes, lettuce, chicken breast and sauces to give it flavor, racks up only 320 calories for a small. Keep in mind that it is a “small” size-wise, any increase or addition of other toppings such as getting a large, or adding cheese and mayonnaise will significantly alter the calorie count.

The Worst:
Wendy’s 3/4th lb. Triple Burger

Total Calories: 1060
As if the name wasn’t proof enough, Wendy’s triple burger, sans the cheese, takes the cake at a whopping 1060 calories—not including fries or a drink ladies! If you’re really craving a good old burger, try one of their smaller portions. Packed with lettuce, tomatoes and pickles, a simple Jr. sized burger at a little over 200 calories, is plenty to satiate your hunger. It leaves room for dessert! Feel free to grab a plain frosty, if you’re down to splurge on yourself! But do take note that it should be “plain”, making that a large caramel frosty shake takes that wee 260 calories to another astonishing 1020 for a large. We guess the take home message here is: watch your sizes! It’s amazing how big a difference a small to a regular can make in terms of diet.

Student’s can access more of this information through Google; all of the aforementioned eateries provide their customers with pdf versions of their nutrition facts!

If you prefer a little more control over what you want for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, UC Irvine has two exclusive eateries on campus right next to Jamba Juice.

Greens-to-Go and Bene’s Pasta have been described as the “Subway for salad and pasta” respectively. Here, students encounter a unique kind of dining experience, much similar to the pasta lines back at Pippin’s Commons, in which one gets to choose what goes into their pasta. Bene’s offers over a dozen vegetables to choose from, as well as multigrain and wheat pasta while Green’s to Go has numerous amounts of toppings and “greens blends” to help create your perfect salad.

Unfortunately, since both joints are run by customer choice, it’s up to you to decide what goes in and what doesn’t—but a pasta loaded with your favorite veggies and seasoned chicken breast doesn’t sound half bad, does it?

Til’ next time.
Bon appétit Collegiettes™! 

Nicole is currently a fourth year Public Health Policy major with a minor in Psychology and Social Behavior. She has been writing for HerCampus UC Irvine for over two years, editing for almost two. When she's not busy working closely with her co-editor and managing the writing staff of HC UCI, she spends a lot of time at Corona del Mar...or baking cookies. She is also an expert baby wrangler and works part time at the UCI Infant Toddler Center. Her true loves include the color pink and copious cups of coffee.
Resham is a senior at the University of California, Irvine, with a major in International Studies and a minor in Cognitive Psychology. She is currently a proud member and Editor of Kappa Alpha Theta as well as Assistant Communications Officer of Panhellenic Association. Resham was born and raised in Los Angeles, CA and now enjoys living in luxurious Orange County, CA while she goes to school. She loves to travel, go to the beach on sunny California days, and search for the best restaurants in town.