hawaii girl happy explore jacket beach adventure
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus

Southern California Winters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Yes, SoCal gets cold too. Fight me.

It has been brought to my attention, through several of my high school friends who now live on the East Coast for college, that Southern California weather is no longer considered cold. According to them, I don’t even know what a real winter is.

“You don’t know the true meaning of cold until you live on the East Coast,” they tell me.

“You can’t complain,” they remark, “it’s snowing here.”

In an effort to prove their point, whenever they come home to visit during winter break, at nighttime they’ll strut around outside in shorts and a t-shirt. Yes, not even a light jacket (those monsters), while I’m over here clad in a heavy sweatshirt, jeans, and boots.

I can concede that on the East Coast they have this thing called snow, which essentially is frozen water that falls from the sky (never heard of it), but that doesn’t negate the fact that people like me, who were born and raised in Southern California, are going to feel cold when it gets into the low 50s. In the winter I can’t be the only one walking around wearing three layers of clothing or turning the heater on every night when I get home, right?

The low 50s are cold! And sometimes late at night or early in the morning, it might even get into the low to mid-40s. I’m serious! Looking at the thermometer, that is still technically considered cold. Just because in other places the temperature could potentially drop below freezing, doesn’t mean I still won’t leave my apartment without a thick jacket and a bad attitude.

The whole idea of SoCal not even having “real weather” is crazy to me. Coastal breezes can be surprisingly chilly. It even rains here…sometimes. A few times a year, it even pours (in which people like me run for cover and pray it’s not the apocalypse)! We have weather too, you might just have more of it, and that’s your problem.

All I am demanding is a little sympathy and less judgment when I complain how cold I am. East Coasters, is that too much to ask for?

Elizabeth is a second-year English major at University of California, Irvine. This is her second year as a writer for Her Campus UCI, but her first year as Co-Campus Coordinator. In her free time she loves to write short stories and read fantasy novels.