The Seven Secrets to Maintaining Your Weight This Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

The holidays are swiftly approaching, and they mean three things: family, friends, and food.  Some of us are happy if we come back to school the same size as when we left, while others lament eating those large quantities of gingerbread and candy canes.  Although we can’t stop Mom from breaking out the big guns on the annual three-course Christmas dinner, we can control what we eat for the rest of our holiday break.  For many of us, a dietary conscience is just what we need to fit in to those cute body-con dresses come New Year’s Eve, and these helpful tips can be your lifeboat in a sea of guilty indulgences.

1. Home is Where the Chef’s Heart is

As college students, we’re used to fast-paced schedules that hardly offer us the chance to sit down and cook a meal.  But it’s the holidays!  The break from demanding classes and inflexible deadlines offers us the chance to sit down and breathe.  So use your free time wisely!  Help with the groceries, buy things that you like and that are good for you, and maybe ask your family members to share a few recipes with you.  Rather than buying a sandwich or salad for lunch, fix one for yourself at home.  Preparing your own meals offers you the opportunity to know exactly what you’re consuming, and better control your portions.  What’s more, it’s a form of creation!  Feel free to let your artistic side show when cooking and experiment with ingredients.

1. No Thanks a Latte

It’s wintertime and even in Southern California, the weather has cooled down, prompting many to indulge in a hot drink while on the go.  Seasonal drinks are a huge temptation—after all, the holidays are really the only acceptable time to drink peppermint-flavored coffee—but it’s important not to give in.  These beverages contain a huge quality of sugar, including extra chocolate or caramel toppings, quite a lot of calories, and the devil of dieting, whipped cream.  The solution to a caffeine craving when away from home: order a plain coffee or tea!  They’re the guilt (and fat) free option when you need to remedy your energy level before a long shift at work or an intense day of gift shopping.

1. Don’t Pull a Regina George

“I’m on an all-carb diet!”  We all know how that turned out.  Unless you want a snobby high-end saleswoman to tell you not to shop at her store, go easy on the bread.  This is easily the hardest part of watching what you eat, because most of us love carbs.  They’re filling, easy to prepare, and can taste really good, especially at this time of year, when there’s an overload of them at every meal.  But they’re also a huge cause of weight gain, and can make you feel heavy and bloated.  However, I know from personal experience that cutting out carbs entirely is very difficult.  Thankfully, there’s another option on the table: gluten-free food.  This doesn’t say very much for potatoes—sorry folks, I haven’t figured out a substitute for those just yet—but it does help those of us who can’t live without sandwiches, pasta, and rice (choose brown instead of white!).  Gluten-free alternatives don’t make you bloat, eliminating the “heavy” feeling that carbs often leave us with, as well as the real heaviness they cause weight-wise.

1. There’s No Justice in Just Desserts

Before you dig into the holiday pies and cookies that surround your home, remember this tip.  Sugar is the diet dream killer, and some form of it is in just about everything these days, particularly in the treats whose tantalizing aromas waft through the air at this time of the year.  And it can be addictive, as I’m sure many of us know when we find ourselves surrounded by a multitude of chocolate wrappers after a few hours of what seemed like bliss.  But remember, the sugar high may wear off, but the consequences aren’t so generous.  Not only does sugar have a large impact on weight gain, but it isn’t friendly to your skin, either!  Steer clear of the breakouts and extra pounds by being aware of your sugar intake and making sure it doesn’t become excessive.

1. The Carbonated Truth

It’s winter break, you’re at your parents’ house, and they happen to have a very well stocked fridge.  Your craving for Coke can finally be fulfilled!  But wait.  Many people have admitted to me that their most significant weight loss resulted from abstaining from soda.  And it’s true!  For those of us who are overly fond of soft drinks, staying away from them can result in dropping pounds, fast.  Soda contains sugar, whose evils we’ve already discussed, and it also has a lot of calories—neither of these things are beneficial to the figure-conscious.  And while “diet” and “zero calorie” options may seem like the saviors of the soda dilemma, it’s better to just shut the refrigerator door.  If you aren’t convinced, just read the ingredient label on them and count how many words you can actually understand.  Do those sound like things you’d want to consume?  As someone who prefers to avoid chemical additives, I would recommend to keep away from these false prophets.  They aren’t nearly as effective as simply pushing the can or bottle away, and keeping it there.

1. Leave Cheesy to the Rom-Coms

You’ve got some time off from school and you’re catching up with your girlfriends.  It turns into a sleepover and next thing you know, everyone wants to order a four-cheese pizza.  Or your mom has decided to make the cheesy potatoes, generously topped enchiladas, or thickly coated casserole you love.  Or, far worse, all three!  What to do?  When it comes to this rather unkind dairy product, it’s far better if you don’t, especially when it’s in combination with carbs, which it usually is.  Cheese happens to go to all the wrong parts of your body and stay there.  Control your shape by not being taken unawares by this yellow bandit!

1. Snacking Habits on the Naughty List

Let’s face it, some of us will end up bored while on holiday break.  And for some of us, that means eating more in an attempt to alleviate said boredom.  Ladies and gentlemen, I bring you snacking, the silent killer.  It’s something that we all do, even without noticing.  It results in unconscious binge eating and all the unfortunate consequences that come along with that.  So how do we stop those?  What snacking habits should we avoid?  Well, for one, don’t snack while watching television, reading a book, or doing anything else that occupies most of your attention—this will lead to you not paying attention to your portions and overeating.  Keep snacks small and wholesome.  Rather than reaching for that bag of chips, opt for some fruit (fresh or dried), nuts, or some low-fat yogurt (granola and fruit toppings can transition this snack to a healthy dessert!).  Cherry tomatoes and carrots are good choices as well, but if you choose to pair them with salad dressing, make sure not to use too much, or you’ll take away all the nutritional value of your snack and replace it with something fattening.  And remember, while those 100-calorie cookies and crackers might sound appealing, they’re still sugar and carbs!  If you ignore the siren call of that butter-soaked microwave popcorn and stick to a handful of fresh green grapes, your snacking habits are sure to merit a thumbs-up rather than a “better luck next time” this holiday season.

And whether it’s the holidays or not, it’s also important to remember these important elements of any dietary matters.  Keep your body hydrated by drinking lots of water (eight glasses a day is recommended for the average person), supplement what you eat with necessary vitamins, and never resort to losing/maintaining your weight by not eating at all or purging what you do consume.  Please also note that the seven tips listed above are guidelines and suggestions, but they are not an ultimatum!  The most effective diets are those taken in moderation, because you’re more likely to stick to them if they don’t expel you from your comfort zone and into an alien universe.  It’s okay to adopt them gradually, or to give yourself some wiggle room now and then, as long as you aren’t cheating yourself on what it is you’re doing.  And note how your body feels about these new eating habits—you might find a positive reaction that could revolutionize your daily diet!

With that in mind, happy and healthy eating this holiday season!

Photo Credit: All screenshots are taken from Mean Girls (Paramount Pictures)