This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Name: Saloni Shah Major: Business Economics and Political ScienceAge: 21Hometown: Brea, CA. But I was born in India and lived there for 11 years. 

Campus Involvements: ASUCI, UNICEF AT UCI, Campus Representatives

Current song on repeat: “Latch” by Sam Smith/Disclosure

What’s your guilty pleasure? Indian soap operas

Describe your ideal date: My ideal date would be a picnic in Aldrich Park, or anywhere really. It would be nice to follow the date with a genuine conversation as the sun set in the background. 

Relationship dealbreaker?It’s over if my significant other does not respect my culture because it’s one of the most important things in my life. 

Proudest accomplishment at UCI so far: Figuring out how to walk backwards throughout campus without hurting myself…? Something of that sort? Yes. (Shout out to C-Reps!)

What are you most passionate about? Throughout my undergraduate career, I have realized that I’m most passionate about education. Education has been integral to my life.  I was raised to believe that education represents social mobility in our society. I still strongly believe that. However, in the last three years, I have realized that I am privileged to be a student at UC Irvine because not everyone has access to or the resources to pursue a higher education. I have challenged myself to ask why this inequality exists and how we can improve access and affordability to a higher education. It’s important to challenge the society that we live in and demand that education be a right.

Since you’re graduating early, is there anything you want to do before you graduate? I want to spend my last day as an undergrad on top of a parking structure watching the sun set and the city lights appear. I’m really into sunsets and city lights. I know, I’m a walking cliché.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years? In 5 years, I would like to have a job that I enjoy but also have the ability to push myself further and grow into new positions. I want to be able to travel and have responsible adventures but not have too many responsibilities. Basically, I want to be comfortable, but not too comfortable with my life.

Shadi Houshangi is a second-year Public Health Policy major at the University of California, Irvine. In addition to being a writer for Her Campus, she is involved with ASUCI as both an intern for the Festivals Commission as well as the Campus Climate Commission within the Office of the President. Her interests can be contained to anything that has to do with food or film.
...