Running for the Thrill: Charles Jock

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

The summer Olympics happen every four years, but for senior Charles Jock, he’s been training everyday for it. With the Olympic trials coming up in June, the pressure is on, as he must compete amongst many earnest and talented runners. The trials are to be held in Eugene, Oregon, and if Jock can place top three, he will be on his way to London, England for the 2012 summer Olympics.
In 2011 Jock won ‘the Invitational Elite 800-meter race in the 53rd annual Mt. SAC Relays with another school-record time of 1:45.19.’ With a winning time of 1:46.59, Jock also obliterated ‘a 10-year meet record in the 800 meters in the 18th annual Adidas/Steve Scott Invitational which took place at our Anteater Stadium last Sunday. In the same weekend, he also contributed to the winning success of ‘UCI’s 4×400 relay running a 45.7 anchor leg, the team claiming a season-best time of 3:09.89’.

At a young age, Jock proved himself to be multi-talented at a myriad of sports from soccer and martial arts, to basketball. Yet, it was training for the latter as a freshmen in high school that he caught the eye of talent-hunting track coaches, who eagerly watched Jock showcase his soon to be track star strident abilities.

Now an acknowledged professional athlete in his senior year, Jock is profoundly grateful for the motivation and support by his fellow coaches and peers. Yet, it is the passion for the sport that energizes Jock to steadily break new records. The 800-meter track is arguably an individualist sport, as Jock says, ‘It is just you out there and it all falls on you, forcing you to work that bit harder.” For most of us, just the thought of running 800-meters exhausts us, however one only needs to regard Jock’s exceptional results to realize his effortless ability to run numerous laps.

Having already competed against international professionals of an equal caliber such as the IAAF World Championships at Daegu, South Korea last year, Jock is training hard with relentless vigor and determination to hopefully meet the Olympic challenges ahead. Keep the Anteater spirit alive by keeping an eye out for Charles’ futures success!

Rebecca grew up in Hercules California (Norcal), but now lives in Orange County (Socal). She is a senior psychology and social behavior major and management minor at the University of California, Irvine. Rebecca is currently the Co-president/Correspondent at UC Irvine Her Campus Branch and served as the branch's  Social Media Director during the 2010-2011 school year. She traveled around the globe this summer to Paris, Munich, Zurich, Milan, Rome, Venice, Hong Kong, Guangzhou, and Honolulu after studying abroad in London. It was an AMAZING experience. At UC Irvine she is also a member of Kappa Alpha Theta.