Project RISHI: Innovation to India

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

The late Steve Jobs once said, “innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower.”

UC Irvine Seniors Divya Majji and Sriram Cherukupalli are well on their way to becoming strong leaders. As the co-founders of the UC Irvine branch of Project RISHI, they have devoted a large amount of their time to think of new and innovative ways to fundraise for and improve this organization as well as the areas it aims to help.

Project RISHI (Rural India Social and Health Improvement) is a national non-profit organization that strives to “promote the sustainable development and growth of rural Indian communities.” This organization was founded at the University of California, Los Angeles in 2005, and since then has expanded to five other universities across the nation, including UC Irvine.

Divya and Sriram were inspired to establish a branch of Project RISHI at UC Irvine for multiple reasons. During her annual family trips to Hyderabad, India, Divya was exposed to the poverty-stricken rural areas there. In 2010, Sriram traveled to Pavagada, India to conduct a research project concerning water purification. Both of their observations included the lack of proper hygiene, health, and living conditions. It was after witnessing such horrible conditions first-hand that their interest to establish a chapter of Project RISHI at UC Irvine fostered. After careful planning and research, they assembled a group of students in Spring Quarter 2011 that shared the same goal: to help people in need.

The dedicated team at UC Irvine consists of students who are working hard to raise money for their target village of Bodagattu—located on the outskirts of Hyderabad—through means of donations, fundraisers, and sponsors. One way that they have been able to fundraise successfully is through eyebrow and face threading on campus. Instead of only depending on the usual boba sales that are all too familiar on the UC Irvine campus, Project RISHI decided to step out of the box. By thinking of something so simple, yet unique, they were able to generate awareness and fundraise significantly for their upcoming trip to India this winter, 2012. They are proud to say that 100% of their profits will go Bodagattu in hopes of bettering the villagers’ living and health conditions. This year they might also add henna tattooing to their threading fundraiser, so girls, keep a look out for that on campus! Furthermore, they plan to take part in presentations to health professionals and business in order to obtain larger sponsorships in preparation for their first trip.

Their first two-week trip is scheduled to be this winter. As part of this trip, they plan to focus on research and surveying of their target village in order to determine which issues need significant attention. These could range anywhere from hygiene, malnutrition, and water purification. “In addition to finalizing a written template survey, we are brainstorming ideas for interactive and engaging health educational lessons for the children,” Divya added. Another goal Sriram shared is to “identify and visit various health clinics, hospitals and medical professionals in Hyderabad that would eventually be willing to help to establish medical camps within the village.” Furthermore, they are volunteering at local clinics in Southern California in order to observe and understand how they function in preparation for starting one in the village of Bodagattu.

Project RISHI has ambitious goals including projects aimed at medical improvements, educational enhancements, and social services specific to each village. “It differs from other organizations that also have similar goals because each branch of Project RISHI hopes to help to focus and build on one village for years to come,” according to Reva Bhatt, a very involved member of Project RISHI. It is not a one-time project, but instead a long term vision to convert a rural Indian village into a sustainable community.

As the new school year begins, Project RISHI hopes to continue fundraising and spreading the word about this incredible organization. The founders and members are looking forward to the winter trip and hope to make an impact on their local community in addition to contributing to the welfare of Indian villages. Sohini Daya, a member of the board, emphasized, “it’s the difference you’re making; you could come back five or ten years from now and the next group of [Project RISHI] members could be expanding on the work you’ve done. It really makes a difference and you will get a very unique experience!”

Be sure to check out and support this admirable organization! http://prishisd.wix.com/ucirvine, or find them on Facebook at UCI Project RISHI.

Picture photobucket links with captions: (please insert where you see fit in the formatting of the article; I’d like the co-founders and the board members to be in there for sure, if there isn’t enough space for the logo then that doesn’t have to be included. Thanks!)

Co-founders of Project RISHI, Divya Majji and Sriram Cherukupalli

Some of the current Project RISHI board members at the Anteater Involvement Fair 2012

Jessica Enriquez (originally from San Diego) is living the life as a proud Anteater at the University of California, Irvine. This literary journalism major isn't your everyday California girl. Asides from the surf and the sun, Jess can be found enjoying trips to Disneyland, quoting Mean Girls, twittering/tumbling/pinning, napping everywhere, practicing with her dance team, and participating in a variety of affiliations on campus. Jess has found a home to express her online marketing skills and graphic design talents with the Her Campus branch at UCI. This year she will serve as one of the branch's co-correspondents/presidents. Jess dreams of a career in higher education or public relations, but wherever life takes her she'll continue to lead on with heart and passion.