Preventing Violence With CARE

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Although UCI is located in one of the safest cities in the United States, it does not necessarily make the university an exception to incidents such as rape and sexual assault. In a 2006 US Department of Justice study, one in four college women have survived rape or attempted rape, and in a separate study 42% of rape survivors told no one. To address the concerns of violence and discrimination on campus, the CARE (Campus Assault Resource and Education) Office seeks to promote a safe environment at UCI by providing accessible counseling services, training, and educational programs to all students, staff, and faculty.  

Opened as an improved resource center for campus assault awareness and counseling in 2005, CARE expanded from a pre-existing program to better serve the needs of the campus population. The office’s name emphasizes its growing responsibilities in counseling services and campus-wide awareness as well as students becoming actively involved in violence issues. In addition, workshops and training sessions on rape, assault, relationships, and alcohol led by CARE presenters are also offered to develop greater attention to these issues in the community. Yoga workshops are also available to assist survivors in the healing process.

CARE’s goal of giving support to those in the UCI community impacted by violence is reflected in its individual and group consultations that assist students in decision-making, coping, and overcoming related challenges. Group counseling may help those who want to connect with others who have had similar experiences and gain a sense of self-awareness. Consultations are facilitated by CARE staffers with knowledge in areas of rape, relationship health, gender issues, and sexual assault. In order for students to feel safe during counseling, all appointments are confidential and are free of charge.

In its efforts to promote student involvement in CARE, the office’s three diverse peer education programs are committed to raising awareness of relationship issues, stalking, and sexual violence through campus outreach. Peer educators receive training from mental health professionals, lead workshops, and expose other students to crucial resources. The Right to KNOW peer program specifically highlights the occurrence of sexual assault and ways of eliminating incidents on college campuses and educates students on safety issues and available resources. CHAMPS (Challenging All Men to Prevent Sexism) was created with the idea that males can also make a difference in stopping violence. With 99% of rapes and sexual assaults committed by men, the organization empowers male individuals to recognize sexual assault on campus through awareness and prevention programs. Similarly, VIP (Violence Intervention and Prevention) Program strives to communicate issues on violence and relationships to the Greek community. Consisting of members from UCI sororities and fraternities, the group seeks to establish a supportive atmosphere among all chapters in educating themselves on these topics.

The peer educator programs also help organize campus-wide events throughout the year such as Denim Day, the Clothesline Project, We Step Into the Light, and Stalking Awareness Month to extend CARE’s mission of greater awareness on violence and sexual assault to the student population.  

On April 17th, CARE will host Take Back the Night starting at the flag poles, an event intended to widen the awareness of sexual violence, reflect on the action needed, and honor assault victims. Starting at 7pm, a group candlelight vigil and march around campus will take place. This will be followed by a tour of stations and artistic performances meant to educate participants on the various factors that contribute to the existence of sexual violence and its impact. The evening will end with survivors and other speakers sharing their experiences with assault and recovery.

The CARE Office are located on the 3rd floor of the Student Center in room G320 and is open to all students seeking help or resources related to sexual or partner violence. The office can be contacted at (949) 824-7273 or their email care@uci.edu. CARE is open Monday through Friday between 8 AM and 5 PM.

More information and resources can be found on their website: http://www.care.uci.edu

Sources:

Tjaden, P. & Thoennes, N. (2006). Prevalence, incidence, and consequences
of violence against women: Findings from the national violence against
women survey. Research in Brief, Washington, DC: National Institute of
Justice, US Department of Justice.

Warsaw, R. I Never Called it Rape. New York: HarperCollins Publishers, 1994.

http://bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/SOO.PDF

Celina is a third year economics major at UC Irvine.  Her interests include playing sports, reading the news and books, and trying new food.  Besides being a writer for Her Campus, Celina is also a member of Active Minds, a mental health awareness club, and the karate club at UCI and is a site supervisor for an outreach program for high school freshmen.  
...