Nam Ho: Creator of Urban Streetwear Brand OMC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

As a fourth year business administration major, Nam Ho found a business internship with Xilynx where he was confined to a cubicle eight-hours a day. Feeling unfulfilled, Ho realized he wanted to do something more creative saying, “I really hated it. I would always find myself doodling and wanting to pursue something art or design related because that’s what I really love.” Ho pursued his true passion for graphic design and eventually created and founded urban street wear company, OMC (Oh! Man Clothing). The name actually came about by reversing Ho’s real name as he explained, “I wanted the name to demonstrate how I personally like to reflect my vision in and through my work.” Various inspirations like the work of Shepard Fairey (who created Obey Clothing) helped the development of OMC. Ho also did research on his own, gaining inspiration from graffiti art and culture. “All of the designs from OMC clothing derive from a personal experience or impacting memory I’ve had”, Ho said. “I created our ‘Never Sleep’ shirt after my summer trip to NYC and our 3-year anniversary T-shirt has ‘The Loving Memory’ on the back because it’s dedicated to my cousin Gordon, who unfortunately passed, but was a person I truly admired and one of my biggest life inspirations.” His four-man team (Ho as creative director, and his friends Charlie, Paz, and Phuc for marketing, PR and photographing) raised awareness of OMC, by using free marketing strategies through social media outlets like Facebook, Instagram and Tumblr. OMC continues to grow and will soon be available online on the popular street fashion website, Karmaloop. Ho is thankful for the encouraging support he receives from friends and family clarifying, “It’s important to build a loyal fan base, but not just based off of people who wear your brand, but those that actually believe in you as a person too.” Aside from working, Ho watches TV shows like Suits, plays basketball or hangs out with his friends. After graduation, Ho plans to further expand OMC and continue his endeavors in design and art. His motto for both OMC and himself is: “Minimal Work, Maximum Fun” explaining, “I never see OMC as work. Even when I’m stressed, it’s stress that I’d want to deal with because I’m finally doing something I love.”

Amanda Kim

UC Irvine

Amandask

UC Irvine

English and Literary Journalism double major at the University of California Irvine. The four vital "F's": Fashion, Friends, Food and Family make my world turn!